regular Maintenance every 50k is it worth it | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

regular Maintenance every 50k is it worth it

limit

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer limited
So the dealer says i should be doing a regular maintenance of every 50 k on my 2004 ford explorer, it consist of changing the tranny fluid and filter, changing the diff fluid, spark plug replacement, and fuel filter, but i just did one 50k back, what do you think I must do. From my understanding tranny fluid never has to be changed every 50k.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would find a local shop with a good reputation to do the work. Less expensive for the same thing...

Changing the tranny fluid and filter every 50k isn't a bad idea. Changing the plugs that often may not be necessary on a newer vehicle. I would check the owners manual and go with their recommendations on that. I just changed plugs on my wife's Toyota Corolla for the first time at 100k. They were a bit worn, but could have went even longer. No noticeable difference in fuel economy or performance after the switch.

Gear lube in the diff could go to 75-100k between changes. Just make sure it's not leaking and that it's always at the correct level.

If you want that trans to last at all, you should definitely change the fluid at least every 50k.

In general you are most probably correct. Although some may go for 100's of thousands with little maintenance, it is cheap insurance.

I think that in general that all this 'low miaintenance, no maintenance' generation of cars has lured people into a sense of 'how could it fail' only to get a huge repair bill later.

Item by item:

Since auto trannies are extremely expensive, very dependent on fluid condition, and can be failure prone, I absolutley agree with chaning fluid at least every 50K miles (I do mine more often, and alternate with flushes). So far 103K miles and no problems.

Differentials should be able to go 100K miles between fluid changes, but not neglected entirely.

I think that although good OEM modern day spark plugs can go 100K+ miles, having that steel plug in an aluminum head for many years is flirting with trouble.

I probably would be okay with the fuel filter also at 50K miles, in hindsight.

Doesn't sound like too bad, but I recommend finding a good indy service shop, too. That or doing it yourself.

I agree- 35-40k on the trans, the rest of their schedule is a little excessive... The intervals should all be in your maintenance guide in your owners manual folder btw...

thanks for the help, i never got a owner manuel with my truck i bought it used. What should be done at 150k. I did the big maintence at 100k

Go here: Dead Link Removed

And you can download all of the manuals that were provided with your vehicle when it was new, courtesy of Ford. :)

1998 f150 almost 300k changed fluid once :eek:)

it is on its way out though/

Maintenance intevals

Here is what Ford recommends for my 2000 Sport with 5R55E:

Every 5,000 miles:
Engine oil & filter

Every 30,000 miles:
fuel filter, air filter, engine coolant

Every 100,000 miles:
PCV valve, spark plugs

Every 150,000 miles:
ATF & filter, rear axle lubricant (never for synthetic unless contaminated with water)

My personal deviations to above:

Every year (I don't drive 5,000 miles per year):
Clean MAF sensor, clean IAC valve, clean & reoil air filter, add fuel injector cleaner to fuel tank, replace remote engine full flow and bypass oil filters, replace remote ATF filter

Every 50,000 miles:
PCV valve, spark plugs and wires, ATF

Every 75,000 miles
Upper front and rear timing chain tensioners

Every 150,000 miles:
Synthetic rear axle lubricant

The only time I will replace my in the transmission filter is when it's rebuilt because it's really just a screen and I have a remote full flow type filter

Last edited:

Back