• Register Today It's free!

Is my hub busted?

five0hfox

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT
I got my 94 explorer a little over a week ago. I don't know if this hub is busted, or is maybe missing a clip? The guy said the hub wasn't like this until after he got an alignment at good year. I did read the thread about hub diagnostics, but I don't think it will help me in this case! But also,when putting it in 4wd driving a block or so then trying to spin the tires on gravel, the front wheels do not spin. I assume it's not engaging, I haven't lifted a wheel and spun the driveshaft yet though. I do hear it when I hit the button and the 4x4 light does come on.

So anyways, what's up with this hub?

http://s791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/five0hfox/?action=view&current=Photo-0034.jpg&newest=1

Also, if it is busted, how good are the Mile Marker manual hubs from Autozone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi:

Do both front hubs look like the one pictured? It almost looks like the cover is missing or pushed out.

If the hubs do not or are not engaged then when you spin the tires the front wheels will not spin. What you need to do is raise the x and test the hub engagement. You can do this one wheel at time or block both wheel off the ground.

Once raised turn the front axle (remember to turn in one direction to engage and reverse to disengage) to see if the hub engages. This will tell you if one or both hubs are working.

Hope this helps.
PaMnd

I cannot see the PICS here at work.. Some company policy thing. I have the Mile Markers on my 'X' . 4WD is just used in snow But I'm sure these manuals will outlast any Explorer OEM Auto Hubs and they provide a more Positive Lock.

just thaat one hub is popped out in the center like that and you can push it in some but it just springs right back out. i havent had time to pull it off and inspect it.

I've never seen an auto hub do that. In my best SWAG, I'd say, yes, you broke the hub. The end cap is what the spring pushes on, and with that blown out like that the hub won't lock..

time to switch to manual hubs..

~Mark

just thaat one hub is popped out in the center like that and you can push it in some but it just springs right back out. i havent had time to pull it off and inspect it.
\
Sorry I can't see th epics but from what you are describing, it sounds like the Large Snap Ring that holds all the crap down into the Hub is missing.
It's about 1.25 " down into the Hub and it pushes outward into a groove in the Housing.

\
Sorry I can't see th epics but from what you are describing, it sounds like the Large Snap Ring that holds all the crap down into the Hub is missing.
It's about 1.25 " down into the Hub and it pushes outward into a groove in the Housing.

If that is the case, where could I buy it? It would be great to fix the autohubs for now so I can try to find a used set of manuals. I'm pulling the hub off tomorrow. I've never done it before so I'll probably post pictures of it to hopefully diagnose it.

I checked price at Autozone and O'Riley for some hubs. Autozone had Mile Markers for $180 and the conversion kit was $30 and O'Riley had Warn hubs for $205, but the conversion kit was $55. Would it really be worth the extra $50 for the Warns if I end up buy manual hubs? It's only going to be used in snow really, maybe some light mud that will need 4x4, but that's about it.

Can't go wrong with Warn hubs, the price difference is only $50.
I am no fan of Autozone parts, most are cheap China made imitation parts with bad workmanship and inferior materials.

The Conversion kits are just GM type Spindle nuts. They should be the same exact parts for both Manual Hubs.

I've had MILEMARKERS on my 'X' for 140K miles. Used on the roads in the snow. make sure the kits aren't $55 per side.
You'll need this http://www.ducatimeccanica.com/tool.html

Pulled the hub off and this was left

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/five0hfox/Photo-0036.jpg

then the parts of the hub

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/five0hfox/Photo-0042.jpg

and here is how it was together inside the hub

http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/five0hfox/Photo-0044.jpg

I don't see anything that appears to be broken. There was a small chunk of metal in it, but I can't see anywhere that a piece broke. All clips appeared to be in there. there was the retainer clip in the hub keeping a piece from coming out, and on the piece that pops out of the center of the hub (part that says 4x4) the little c clip was on there.

Is it possibly just assembled wrong?

the wheel was installed over the hub not seated th the axle correctly, forcing the guts of the hub through the end. Its broke.

after further inspection, the center piece is broke off of the main part..

Before you go out and buy new manual hubs, check around your local junkyards. Any 1991-1994 explorer hubs will fit on your truck. I managed to get a set of stock manual hubs (which are WARN, btw) for $40 including all the stuff to convert over.

Dont be afraid of the junkyard, just don't spend $ on junk. In the yard make sure it locks and such first.

I was actually going to stop by the local junkyard first thing in the morning. From what I've read 90-97 Ranger hubs will also fit.

How do you get the big retainer ring out of the hub?

I got it out.. So I went to put the hub back together after complete disassembling it and it wasn't going together right. So I took off the passenger side hub, just to find out the bearing at the end of the inside of the hub was fubar. FML. So I guess tomorrow if the local junkyard doesn't have any hubs I'll have to buy some Milemarkers. Just what a broke college student needs to do. yay.

Hi:

If you wish to save money then there is no reason to switch to manual hubs. Especially if the local Pull & Pull has auto hubs and offers warranty. Auto hubs should be common and (relatively) cheap. They are also really easy to change. Take of the wheel and auto hub falls off.

My preference is manual hubs because I like the hub to remain locked until I want to unlock them. Auto hubs will engage and then disengage and re-engage with each change of direction rotation. (Not good if you are stuck and want to rock yourself out.) So unless you plan to get into serious off road travel then Autos will do.

I have two x's, one has manual hubs (my favorite) and one has 249k and original auto hubs and both still allow me to drive through 2 feet of snow (with good tires) without getting stuck.

Just my 2 cents worth.
PaMnd

I called the local junkyard today. They want $35 for a hub. I'm not positive that he knew exactly what I wanted though because he mentioned part of the rotor. So he might of thought I wanted more than I needed.

sooo just wanted to update ya! first off i bought my warn manuals from 4wheel performance center here in mesa, az and they were like 215 with the conversion kit (which is just replaces the wheel bearing lock nuts) secondly it only took me about 30 min. to do. i will say this, i already love them! i was able to find then socket for them at autozone no problem and yea good times! just a fyi, when you put the conversion nuts on.... the one with the dimple on it goes on first then the washer with all the holes in it and then the nut without the dimple goes last. you will have no problem figuring the rest out and if you do please feel free to let me know i will talk ya thru it even on the phone if need be! i just got my 92 explorer about a month ago and the warn hubs were true plug and play!

if you need the part #'s that i got a 4wheel performance let me know so you can cross reference!
sorry i posted soooo much here but i was stoked that it went smooth putting these warn hubs on tonight!!!

O btw the socket for the new hub nuts was like $9 at autozone! =)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi:

My preference is manual hubs because I like the hub to remain locked until I want to unlock them. Auto hubs will engage and then disengage and re-engage with each change of direction rotation. (Not good if you are stuck and want to rock yourself out.) So unless you plan to get into serious off road travel then Autos will do.

Just my 2 cents worth.
PaMnd

EXACTLY!!!
That is the huge negative to Auto Hubs. Aside from the fact that you never know if they engaged or not with all the crap inside them that can be a failur point.
Manual hubs big gears , one big spring to lock the gears..done

Back