Is my transmission blown? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is my transmission blown?

Yes it does.

The torque converter takes over the part of the clutch in a manual transmission. Whether going in reverse or forward the torque converter needs to work.

But the lock up doesn't and the vehicle will go in drive.It's only reverse that doesn't work.The converter itself is just a stator and rotor and they rarely go bad.If the lock up clutch were to burn up it should still work in all gears.:D

But the lock up doesn't and the vehicle will go in drive.It's only reverse that doesn't work.The converter itself is just a stator and rotor and they rarely go bad.If the lock up clutch were to burn up it should still work in all gears.:D

From what I read in his first post it takes up to 4k RPM to move the truck forwards or backwards. The torque converter locks up at a preset RPM (1800 or 2000, usually) in which the torque converter translates a near 1:1 ratio from engine to transmission.

To make it simple:

You're in DRIVE idling at about 700RPM. You press the accelerator and the RPM gauge soars to 2000 and you feel the tranny engage and the car accelerate.

Why did the tranny not engage the minute you took off the brake? The torque converter lets slippage occur till the engine gets into its power band and then locks up to deliver the most power at the best time with better fuel economy.

When the torque converter's clutches fail and lose grip, it will refuse to lock up till you have a tremendous amount of fluid pressure from the stator and from the higher RPMs,aka "slippage". This occurs whether going forward OR backward. Yes the transmission will get some RPMs from the engine through the natural ability of the torque converter to slip, but since you are translating this power to the tallest gear in your transmission (2.47 IIRC, 1st gear) you are going to have to overcome it first to move the vehicle in either direction.

Just because you put the selector in 1st or 2nd doesn't mean the tranny will automatically engage that gear. It just means the transmission will not shift PAST 1st or 2nd.

I was responding to the one where just reverse didn't work,not the original poster.

Back