Is the rear wheel bearing job harder to do than the front? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is the rear wheel bearing job harder to do than the front?

You doing the rear hub bearings or axle bearings? I've got the axle bearings in stock.

Well. I just got done pulling it. Ended up just taking the toe link completely off the car, and then spreading it apart with a large pry bar and taping the toe link out of the knuckle. This is the way that I will do it in the future, as you can just pull the toe link off with the knuckle just by removing one easy to get to bolt. Overall removal wasn't that bad. I bet putting this sucker back together will be a bear though. Going to have the new bearings/hub pressed together tomorrow. Will let you guys know how it goes.

Well today i replaced both rear wheel bearings in my 2003 explorer. It took about 5 hours or so. We had to pull off the wheel. I bought two bearings at 76.00 for nationals. I also had to buy a 35mm axle spindle nut socket. First thing is you take and loosen the nut. then take off the wheel. Then take off the brake caliper. Then there is one bolt on the bottom that holds the brace and the hub on take that off, and then the two ball joint things that hold it in place. after this the axle can be gently pounded out of the hub bearing. Then I had to press the hub out of the bearing. Then press the bearing out of the hub. You also have a snap ring that holds the bearing in from the back side that will most likely be a pain in the ass. One bearing fell apart, and we had to weld some spots so we could pound it out with a hammer. Then we cleaned the inside of the hub with some sand paper. Just enough to remove rust. then we did the same with the hub. Then you press the bearing into the housing, and then press the hub into the bearing. After this is all done, you put it back to gether in the reverse of taking it apart. I found the torque spec of 184 ftlbs, and thats what I did. This makes the ride so much quieter. I can't believe I thought that I had noisey tires for the last year. Glad to be done working on this wheel bearings from hell. Hope this was imformative.

Back