is there enough room to sleep in the back of a 92 explorer sport 2dr ?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

is there enough room to sleep in the back of a 92 explorer sport 2dr ??

tourist

Reaction score
City, State
great falls montana
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xlt
thanks

i know it sounds like a dumb question but i am thinking of getting a 92 explorer sport 2dr and i want to know if there is enough room for 2 people to sleep in the back with the seat down [that is if the seat does go flat like the seats in my 91 4dr do ..

the sport is 100 miles away so i dont want to drive that far to check it out if there isnt room to sleep [just for a night or 2 when camping up in the mountains when we dont want to take the camper]

yes we fit comfortably in my 91 4dr with the rear seats down but i know the sport model is on a wheel base 10" shorter then my 4 door so i am worried
about the room ..

i have looked for interior dimensions of the sport model to compare the physical dimensions of the 2 but i cant seem to find them anywhere

any and all comments / help appreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am 5'7" and I fit in the back of mine alone and I could not stretch out.
If you are much taller than me is will likly be uncomfortable, more so with company.

Welcome to the site
don't be a stranger.

A 4-door would probably suit you much better. My fiance and I have camped in the cargo area with the seat down a couple of times and it's fairly comfortable...if you like to be close. Having said that though i've never been in a 2 door though so I don't really know how much smaller they are.

later
code

It's a tight squeeze for one person.

Remember, sleep in the Ex, not with the ex.

Another thing to keep in mind is that at least in my 4 doors, the seats don't fully go flat with the cargo area, so the angle may cause back pain or sumthin

cool answers

much appreciated

i am only 5'7 so hopefully i will fit [unfortunatly by myself]

thanks

I am 6' tall and it can be done in my Sport. I wouldn't want to be any taller though. Not all that comfortable but it can be done, even with another person if necessary. I'd only do it if I got stuck up in a pass in a storm and didn't want to risk driving down at night. Been there...done that.

I thought about building a removable bed frame in the rear, with air mattress on top, and it would give a little more legroom and width as it would be raised up a few inches to clear the wheel wells.

Is there any way to make some sort of rear door handle in the inside if you do choose to sleep in the back instead of crawling through the front seats and going out either the driver or passengers door?

Creatve said:
Is there any way to make some sort of rear door handle in the inside if you do choose to sleep in the back instead of crawling through the front seats and going out either the driver or passengers door?

Oh yeah I forgot about that :)
I slept in the back of my ex one time wile camping.
Nasty weather came through and I thought I would get a better night sleep in the back of the Ex.
So I scooted my bag, air mattress and pillows in the back, I just moved the cooler and all the gear I had stored in the back up into the front seats.
Made for an adventurous and fun exit in the morning let me tell you.

too bad I have 15's in the back to test that, I've been ok with sleeping in the driver's seat

I'm 5' 6" and I usally put a partally inflated queen size air matress in the back when I camp, this allows me to stick me feet between the two front seats to be able to stretch out.

It's better than sleeping in a wet tent. ;)

Sleep a little bit at an angle and your golden... I'm 5'10 and have done it several times. To aid in the sleeping process I recommend a nice inflatable air mattress or a therma-rest, a nice sleeping bag, a few pillows and copious amounts of alcohol to ensure that you sleep like a baby with no disruptions

I think the latter is what always helps me gently fall into a deep slumber when camping ;)

I've slept in my '98 Sport when I was locked out of my apartment. But then again I was really intoxicated and slept in the fetal position. I even slept half under the cargo cover. 5'8" by the way.

6'4" Never going to happen. Tried sleeping in the drivers seat once but that was a hard on everything. I passed out once in the backseat upside down with my legs hanging into the rear area. Hope that helps!

Back