Jefe's SAS | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jefe's SAS

Everyone else has a SAS thread in here, so I figured that instead of being jealous, I'd just start my own :)

I've been planning this for a few months now, and the parts are now starting to collect.

The plan is to buy a TJ D30 front axle to use for sizing and testing purposes, and replace it with a custom HP D44 with a bunch of goodies as the project nears completion.

I will be using Rubicon Express TJ long arms. These are 36" long, and convert the TJ 4 link to a radius arm design. 36" back from the front axle lands the rear mounts right where the torsion bar currently mounts, and the TJ and Ex frame are the same width at that location, so it should make for a great bracket location.

I plan to run 2" remote res. coilovers. I won't decide how much travel they need until I've got the axle temp'd under and see amount of flex, ride height, etc. No point in shoving a 14" travel C/O WAY up into the engine bay if its not going to do me any more good than a 10" or a 12".

I will convert the steering pump and gearbox over to a 1st gen explorer setup. I am hoping that the TJ track bar and steering will work, but will have that custom made if it doesn't.

I'm hoping for about 6" of lift, but may have to settle for more depending on a few things. I'll do a SOA conversion in the rear, along with custom leaves to match front ride height. I will be taking out the 3" BL as one of the first steps.

I plan to start actual work on the project about halfway into April.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

cant wait

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Got my coil-overs a few weeks ago and forgot to post a pic:
2", 14" travel, Eibach springs

8-25_1.jpg

I wanted to start last weekend, but I didn't feel like working in the 100* heat. Maybe next weekend.

That's cool that you got the red, matches your truck.

Have you decided on your axle setup yet?

Those are the same coilovers that I tried to go with when I did mine. They ended up being way too long. I could have made them work by bringing them up through the hood a few inches, but that was going to require a little more work rerouting fuseboxes and such that I just didn't feel like dealing with. I'm sure you'll get it done though ;)

Originally posted by JoshC
That's cool that you got the red, matches your truck.
Thats what everyone that has seen them says. . .and I didn't even plan it that way.

Originally posted by Mudd*****
Those are the same coilovers that I tried to go with when I did mine. They ended up being way too long. I could have made them work by bringing them up through the hood a few inches, but that was going to require a little more work rerouting fuseboxes and such that I just didn't feel like dealing with. I'm sure you'll get it done though ;)
All my homework so far says that the top of the c/o will be about 2" below the hood. Thats no sweat though. . .its fitting them plus the hoops all in next to the master cylinder on one side and A/C on the other, while still keeping it symetrical. (I think I'm gonna end up ditching the A/C [I'll just have to use the compressor for on-board air ;) ] )

Originally posted by BKennedy
But, if you ditch the AC, you might as well have a J&*p! :D

Ouch.

Good luck Jefe. I'm looking fwd to seeing how your coil-over setup turns out. Are you keeping the TJ Dana 44?

Day 2

No going back now.

2.5 hours of cutting and grinding:

The crossmember is 90% off. I broke one too many cutting wheels so I couldn't finish.

9-11_1.jpg

Starting to look like a project!

How long do you think it's going to be down?

WOW!!! Lookin' good Jefe. Im subscribing :D

Originally posted by JoshC
Starting to look like a project!

How long do you think it's going to be down?
~3 weeks

tonight & Saturday:
steering box goes in
track bar bracket fabbed
design and start coil-over hoops

By a week from now she should be standing on her own again. Then its just brakes, and modifications to get it perfect (I think. . .I'm probably forgetting about something major :rolleyes: Need more sleep.)

Where are you gonna go to challenge your rig after it's done? You'll have to go all the way to Big Bear, Truckhaven or Los Coyotes to have any fun now. ;)

Originally posted by jobunn
Where are you gonna go to challenge your rig after it's done? You'll have to go all the way to Big Bear, Truckhaven or Los Coyotes to have any fun now. ;)
Well, the first run will be up Rowher with the D30 and 2wd. Once any "bugs" are worked out and I've got a D44 swapped in, I'll see where everyone wants to meet me and see my creation in action. :)

Day 3

Got a lot done tonight.

Finished hackin at the frame and got most of the grinding done.

And mocked up everything I have so far:

Coil-over angle:
9-12_3.jpg

Steering angles:

9-12_5.jpg

Full Stuff (Thats probably 1.5" more up travel than I'll actually have. Can't turn stuffed that far up.)
9-12_10.jpg

Days 4 and 5

Got the steering box in and a temporary track bar bracket tacked on, and cycled the suspension through its paces. Looks like I'm gonna be at ~7.5" of lift in order to get a decent amout of uptravel (~5")

Back on her feet (ok, not really):
9-14_9.jpg

Ride height:
9-14_10.jpg

Lots of room for a coilover hoop:
9-14_12.jpg

Not so much room:
9-14_13.jpg

That looks great Jefe!

looks like its gonna be kickass when its done! good work Jefe!:cool:

Hey Jefe, you got a picture of your steering box mount? Just curious to see how close it is to the lower radiator hose since mine is touching it.

You should relocate the batteries to where the old spare tire used to be mounted up behind and above the rear axle. Those Optima batteries can be mounted sideways. Then you would have plenty of room for the coilover hoop.

Back