Is this 2003 Explorer V8 overpriced? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this 2003 Explorer V8 overpriced?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heineken

Reaction score
Looking into getting this one. Tell me if you think it's overpriced

2003 Ford Explorer XLT
$9,750.00
White Exterior/Grey Leather interior
4WD
V8 engine
Power Sunroof
Power Driver Seat
Factory in dash AM/FM radio with 6 Disc Changer
Side Running Boards
Third Row Seat
Alloy Wheels
AC
Power Steering
Power Windows and Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
Dual Front Airbags
4 Wheel ABS
Roof Rack
Privacy Glass
Alarm System
Front Fog Lights
Keyless entry
Trailer Hitch and wiring
Back up warning system
60,325 miles

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1552414267.html

Kelly blue book tells me
Excellent
$8,100

Good
$7,675

Fair
$7,000

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome and thats a nice x see if u can ask the owner if u can get it for lower it seems lil bit to high for that x

welcome and thats a nice x see if u can ask the owner if u can get it for lower it seems lil bit to high for that x
Yes I agree. I had spent all week checking out buy.com and local dealerships... then I remembered craigslist and it was the first result. My jaw dropped.

I too think it's a little pricey. 60k miles though... it's going to be in good condition at least. It is 1 owner and probably owned by some soccer mom and taken care of (as opposed to the junk beater riced up Explorers you see at Long Island dealerships)

Still haven't gotten in contact with the owner yet.

yeah when u get chance talk to owner and trying lower the price cause it seems to high. but good luck

Don't listen to these guys, They are smoking something. It is priced fairly.
For the year, and this geographic region, it is very low mileage. 60,000, over 7 years. Less then 10k a year, in area where many people have long daily commutes. Personally, I have put 3 times that on a car, in a year, when I was working at various jobs in the past.

If it is as nice as the ad/pics seem, then it is a "standout", premium vehicle. It has all (or most) of the right equipment. Doing a quick search on cars.com also reveals that the vast majority of 3rd gen explorers for sale right now are the V6. Regardless of gas prices,etc..., supply and demand dictates that if you want a V8, and they are in short supply, expect to pay a little more for it. As you pointed out, most stuff you find in the city is a clapped out ghetto hoopty by the time it comes up for sale. Stuff just gets beat to crap around there. This one is in a nice suburb area, appears to be taken care of pretty well. Again, premium vehicle, expect a higher price.

I punched in the info the ad provided into kbb.com. I also assumed premium sound, based on the 6-cd in dash changer. Private party value in Good condition is $10,300. Fair is $9650, and Excellent is $10,800.
http://www.kbb.com/kbb/UsedCars/Pri...rue|88860|true&Condition=Good&QuizConditions=

A quick cars.com search shows what else is available in the general area, and shows that this one is actually a bit underpriced. If you can buy it for $9500, you're doing good. Not a steal, but a fair price. (assuming it is as good as the ad makes it appear, of course).

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...Id=28705&searchSource=GN_BREADCRUMB&pgId=2102

I sort of agree with carguy- I think it's close. It is a 2003, but it is a V8, and only has 60k. While I think you can get it in the $8's, it's a good place to start...

What i always do when I'm buying a car cash is when i make my offer i actually have it in $20 bills to show the person before say the number. I bought a 2001 sport 112k for 2500 the guy wanted 4500 that was gonna be my starting point i was willing to come back with another $500 to $700. The guy didn't even negotiate i don't think he even waited to hear the dollar amount before he accepted.
I garrantee that if you were to show the seller $7000 in cash they would accept it. If you don't think it would work withdraw that amount (usually you have to let the bank know a day or 2 in advance) the visual impact of that many bills is astounding.

You are right carguy... this car is reasonably priced. I'm glad I didn't mention the price in my email, however I've yet to get in contact with the seller. It's a Sunday so I guess that happens

Anybody know if Midland Park NJ is a nice area?

1 owner apparently. It is owned by a landscaping company office in NJ. It's the owners transportation to clients. It was never used in actual landscaping.

History report:
http://tinyurl.com/yggtx4c

Will the transmission still go?

Looking into getting this one. Tell me if you think it's overpriced

2003 Ford Explorer XLT
$9,750.00
White Exterior/Grey Leather interior
4WD
V8 engine
Power Sunroof
Power Driver Seat
Factory in dash AM/FM radio with 6 Disc Changer
Side Running Boards
Third Row Seat
Alloy Wheels
AC
Power Steering
Power Windows and Locks
Tilt Wheel
Cruise Control
Dual Front Airbags
4 Wheel ABS
Roof Rack
Privacy Glass
Alarm System
Front Fog Lights
Keyless entry
Trailer Hitch and wiring
Back up warning system
60,325 miles

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/1552414267.html

Kelly blue book tells me
Excellent
$8,100

Good
$7,675

Fair
$7,000
Offer him 7k cash.

I’d think that in 11 years it’d have depreciated a LOT more than that.
Since the OP is from New Jersey it has probably devolved into a pile of rust by now.

Welcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back