is this carrier compatible

chrisis

Reaction score
City, State
Murray, kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer xls
hey guys

i was looking around for a locker and i found a Ford 8.8" 31 Spline Open Carrier 7/8" Shaft with the Powertrax No-Slip Locker from a ford mustang.

is this carrier compatible with my 96 explorer 4x4 D4(3.73 with a limited slip)?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah that carrier and locker combo will fit.

There are two carriers, the non-limited slip and the limited slip. At this point, it doesnt matter if its one or the other because the carrier's internals are already there (the internal being the No-Slip locker).The splines do matter but its 31 spline too so thats good to go.

so my differential has 31 spline because i thought that i have 28 spline?

what about the gears? i have 3.73

if i install the open differential(that may have different gears) with the locker i will not have any problem?

thanks izack in advance

so my differential has 31 spline because i thought that i have 28 spline?

what about the gears? i have 3.73

if i install the open differential(that may have different gears) with the locker i will not have any problem?

thanks izack in advance
You should have a 31 spline -- I think Rangers came with 28 splines.

The gears.. well if the carrier doesnt have a ring gear on it, remove the ring gear from your old carrier, and put it into this new one you're getting. If this new carrier already has a ring gear, then I would still remove it and put your old ring gear on. Changing the ring gear is simple enough, just dont forget to put Loctite on the bolts (along with every bolt in the differential that you're putting back). You don't have to replace your pinion gear since you're not changing the ratio of the differential.

After everything is installed, I would get some marking compound and make sure the teeth contact pattern is at acceptable levels. Oh and also the backlash.

my shaft is 3/4 opened.

the one that i'm installing is 7/8 shaft opened.

is that still ok or i will have problems?

thanks

Shouldn't have problems (i could be wrong), but it only makes a differance in what locker/spider gears you need.

I don't think the axle shafts are 7/8" or 3/4" -- the axle shafts are 1.31".

I think what is meant by 7/8" or 3/4" is the shaft that goes through the carrier which normally keeps a pair of spider gears in place (on a normal "Open" or "Limited Slip" differntial). That shaft is 7/8", but that doesnt matter at this point because you're getting the carrier with the locker in it already, assembled and everything so you're not touching this shaft at all. All you need to do is swap out the ring gear.

aussie_locker_29.jpg

The image above isnt mine but the shaft being driven in by the rubber mallet is what we are talking about

Back