Issue with 2017 Explorer XLT. Looking for advice or opinions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issue with 2017 Explorer XLT. Looking for advice or opinions

Jeffro0341

Reaction score
City, State
Pingree Grove Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer XLT
Hey all,
I bought a used 2017 Explorer back in November from a Hyundai dealership. Car looked good, and the price was just right. The day I finalized the purchase of the car, the dealership replaced the battery. Unknown to myself and the Hyundai techs, the explorer has an adaptive transmission that is affected when changing the battery. I drove it for about 3 days until I notice the transmission doing to some weird stuff. Took to the Ford dealership in the same auto group as the Hyundai dealership and got the situation rectified and they reset the transmission. Problem is , once in a while it still feels like the transmission or rear differential is slipping. I've taken it to Ford and they ran the code reader and it came up with nothing. Has anyone else experienced an issue like this in their explorer(s) in the same years as mine? Any insight would be extremely helpful. Thanks

Anytime my 2017 explorer shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd, there always seems to be the slightest jump. It is worse when it's cold. Ford said it was normal. I don't think its a huge deal however. I notice it more when I slowly accelerate. If I step on it, I don't really notice the jerky behavior. Not sure if this is similar to the behavior you're experiencing.

Anytime my 2017 explorer shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd, there always seems to be the slightest jump. It is worse when it's cold. Ford said it was normal. I don't think its a huge deal however. I notice it more when I slowly accelerate. If I step on it, I don't really notice the jerky behavior. Not sure if this is similar to the behavior you're experiencing.
You explained EXACTLY what happens. I feel a little better about it now. I honestly thought they were jerking me around because I'm getting close to the end of my powertrain warranty. Thanks for the reply

You explained EXACTLY what happens. I feel a little better about it now. I honestly thought they were jerking me around because I'm getting close to the end of my powertrain warranty. Thanks for the reply
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the Owner's Manual? If yes, page 289 of the 3rd edition, explains how to reset items after a battery replacement.
I never noticed any issues with my 2017 Platinum.

Peter

Back