Issues with the ole gal... please help me out. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Issues with the ole gal... please help me out.

HardTech

Reaction score
City, State
Anna, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
Long time no see guys… I guess it’s a good thing though right?

Well I am having some issues with my ole Explorer, and would like some opinions on what it may be.

Little back story so you can get an idea of what leads up the events. Feel free to skip this part. But I think it may play a role.

Car was bought with 105k miles. At about 106-110k miles it was given new sparkplugs, new wires and basically tuned up. Just the basics though. The explorer for 3 years took me back and forth to school with no real issues. At the time my round trip was about 30 mi a day. I didn’t go to school every day so around 110 mi avg including weekends.

Well school ends, we move and 3 months later I get a job. Well now im doing 100 miles a day. About 560 miles a week give or take 30+ miles including weekends. Been at my work 17 weeks now (9,520 miles). I have been using synthetic oil ever since we got it, and have been changing it around 5000 miles. It doesn’t look burnt, and it never uses a drop.

Now no modifications to the vehicle besides a KKM air intake. It has been on the car now for at least 11k miles. Just the normal maintenance has been done to it. The explorer has had no real downtime due to anything up until about a month ago. I think I have two separate issues though I think.

*if you skipped the above read this*

A few months ago my car would not start in the parking lot at work. It was kicking over with no issues. But it was like it had no spark or no fuel. Try for 5 mins and nothing. Give a call for someone to pick me up and she starts right up like nothing happened. This has now happened 4 times since then. I have a theory about a fuel pump going out. Put people tell me they either work, or the quit. They just don’t work when they want to (from the parts guy).

Then there is yesterday… Driving home I get up on the highway with no issues. I exist off to another and I felt a small constant shake at a certain speed. I though it may just be a low tire(as they are kinda low). I go for a few more miles and im not at that speed so no more shaking. 25 miles later I have a shake at 65. This is a little more intense, as its making some rattling go off in the car. Again I shrug it off as a tire going down.

Get to a flat area and see if the car pulls, and it doesn’t. The car isn’t sitting weird at all to boot. So I am thinking since its only doing it at 2 speeds now, it must be a weight on the tire fell off in the back. Thus the vibrations at certain speeds, and not pulling. Again nothing seemed off.

15 miles later and I am starting to notice things are not quite right. I hit 70 (which I did before with no issues 10 miles ago) and we are shaking up a storm, and I have a new tone coming from the back of the vehicle. I pull over thinking a tire is done for and check. All the tires are good, the car idles fine. I get back in and add gas and the car is shaking BIG time and the exhaust it the back sounds like an old f250 that has lived way pass its prime.

No smoke, no lights, no codes are being issued. I get home and now it knocking at idle now with no load being applied. I open the hood and the engine is bouncing around like a kid on a sugar high. It sounds horrid. I shut the engine off, and wait for my dad. He starts it, and its even worse, but everything we can check right then and there seems to be good. All fluids are good, and nothing is being posted to the computer (checked).

Start to look up shops and a neighbor suggested bad gas. I did just feel up that morning too, so this may have been it. I take a half bottle of seafoam poor it into the tank. I was planning on starting the car is driving it to mix it with the gas. So I start the car it is complete normal. There is no way with a good 15+ gals of gas it would have mix and gotten rid of water or bad gas that quickly right?

It was litterly pored it in (took 5 seconds) and started the car and boom its fine.

So I know the excessive high miles are starting to show wear on my baby, but what do you think is wrong. I thought heat related because the truck was on the road for two hours in traffic yesterday, but none of the gauges went wacko though. Although the engine had completely cooled off before it was started again

So ideas?

(FYI I got to work with no issues this morning)

Concerning the shaking, you might want to check your vac lines. My '00 started shaking around 98K, ended up being a broken vac line. I thought it was a tire at first too. Relatively simple fix. Haven't had a problem since. May not be the solution, but something to look into.

No idea about the ignition problem. I assume you checked basics (plugs, plug wires, etc). You might want to go looking around the modified explorers section of the forum. Quite a few experienced mechanics/perfomance tuners who you could PM.

Back