It died on me.. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It died on me..

Ok so I took apart and cleaned the contacts on the power distribution box and I swapped the W.A.C relay with the fuel pump relay ..... What is the w.a.c anyway?

Bent out prongs on relay and it fits much tighter and doesn't feel loose any more.I also tried the key a few times and got a prime every time.

Its too late to fire it up, but tomorrow I'll do a fuel pressure test and a drive and report back.

Are you talking the A/C Wide Open Throttle Relay? If so, It cuts out the A/C for max engine power if you floor it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok the manual just calls it a W.A.C relay wasn't sure what it meant. I started her up this morning and it ran nice and smooth hopefully that's all it was.I will try to do a fuel pressure test and a test drive here asap.

In my experience with Ford fuel pumps (which is not insignificant) this is what fuel pumps do when they are worn out. Usually begins when the weather turns cold.

Pulled this one up lol funny thing is that it did seem to start once it got cold although, I have had some poor performance (sputtering) issues while running it hot off-road over the summer. I'm not going to be surprised if what I have done didn't fix the problem and it'll come back as it will (in the last few days) run fine until a hot start then that's when it shows up. Alot of things are pointing at the pump unless the contacts where that bad on the relay. I'm going to try a fuel pressure test tonight and again after a drive and post my results. Crossing my fingers that it won't show up again though as much as I love my old girl and would never get rid of her she's starting to really live up to the( F)ix(O)r(R)epair(D)aily acronym at this point lol. My wallet is starting to feel the pain as well. I must have put thousands in her in the last 2~3 years. The worst is when the cheap made parts nowadays give out and leave you in the same situation once again alot sooner than later. I believe my driver side hub is now on its way out about the same time as the passenger I just replaced both sides were replaced at the same time two years ago and maybe only a year's worth of occasional "Sunday" driving I tell you I'm kicking myself for trying to save money instead of paying alittle more and getting a good name brand.FYI don't buy drive works hubs at advance Auto unless you just love changing them as a pass time lol.

For what it's worth... my '01 5.0L Eddie Bauer would have hot starting issues every now and then. It seemed to act up more during the summer months. It always started right up from cold, but after driving to the grocery store (for example) and letting it sit for 30-40 mins it might not want to start. This went on for about 3-4 years (I don't drive that truck very often) until finally the pump died completely during the winter. After changing the fuel pump it starts up immediately and runs perfectly (hot or cold).

All my other fuel pumps died with intermittent starting issues during cold weather all between 175k-200k.

I swear by Bosch fuel pumps. I've installed them in very one of our 6 Explorers/Mountaineers with zero issues. The first one I installed was an Airtex pump, which barely lasted 10k and died while driving, fortunately at the end of my driveway.

Well I've sourced a Bosch locally hopefully I can burn some gas before she gives out ( I just filled up when it died a few days ago) because I'm convinced the fuel pump is the issue.

Well I've sourced a Bosch locally hopefully I can burn some gas before she gives out ( I just filled up when it died a few days ago) because I'm convinced the fuel pump is the issue.

I used a small OD clear plastic hose and siphoned my tanks near empty before dropping them. Takes a while, but that's the only diameter hose that I've been able to get down the filler tube and into the tank. I pretty much have fuel pump replacement down to a science. I can replace one in about 90 mins, which includes putting my tools away afterwards. I bought all my fuel pumps off eBay for around $60 a pop. A '96 FP may be more expensive, IDK. You'll also need a new strainer sock and fuel filter.

Well I see there are several pumps that are a "fit" for the 96 4.0 but they look different and have different prices and part numbers within the same brand so I was thinking of having my pump in hand before buying a new one to make sure it's a match unless you could point me to make the right decision before hand

Well I see there are several pumps that are a "fit" for the 96 4.0 but they look different and have different prices and part numbers within the same brand so I was thinking of having my pump in hand before buying a new one to make sure it's a match unless you could point me to make the right decision before hand

You could call Bosch's Automotive 1-800 tech support helpline to see if there was more than one pump you could possibly have. That's what I did when I was seeing conflicting information on-line.

FYI don't buy drive works hubs at advance Auto unless you just love changing them as a pass time lol.
My advance auto manager said they last the 3-4 month labor warranty that shops give. He advised against buying them.

My advance auto manager said they last the 3-4 month labor warranty that shops give. He advised against buying them.

I had the guy at advance (when I was buying the Moog replacement hub) that drive works is offered for people who don't want to spend the money for name brand and wasn't surprised I was having trouble with it and told me not to buy that stuff probably the realist guy at an auto parts store I ever met. But hey I had two go out within the week before an off road trip so what can you do the Moog would of cost me an extra $100 all together. But now wish I would have done it.

......Any way I did a fuel pressure test and well it passed. everything thing was pretty good except the idle fuel pressure was hovering right at or slightly above 30psi which is the minimum I swear the last time I did the test it passed with flying colors.

Test drove it off and on. was out and about for 4 hours and no issues Soo I'm hoping that if is actually still going bad I'll have some more time before another Saturday on my back covered in dirt and grease lol. In the meantime I'll find out what pump I need for my truck thanks guys for the advice.

For some reason every time someone came in the shop with a bad fuel pump,it was right after they filled up. They pull away and with in an hour they are getting towed in, I did dozens of fuel pumps with full tanks of gas. Go figure.

Lol it happened accelerating while pulling out from the gas station. So far no more issues but I'm still betting on it showing up again but I'm going to run it until it dies for good just keeping it local right now no plans for trips anytime soon plus I have AAA.

Back