"it has begun!!!!!!!" | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"it has begun!!!!!!!"

Reaction score
City, State
lafayette, louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 2wd
Well not really but still a great quote from the 90's mortal kombat! ok everyone so i have been a member for a few months now and love EVERYONE'S ST i got some good ideas from everyone and i might be stealing a few :) First off let me say that i have a 2001 Sport trac 2WD roughly 79k miles on it, bought it from an old man who took great care the ST all except those cruise control switches as they are literally coming apart. My plans for my ST is mostly for show and reliability. UNFORTUNATELY i WILL NOT be doing the 3" PA BL even though i know that most of the members have it done. Believe me I would if i had the time to invest in doing so but frankly i dont have the patience to lift heavy pieces of metal by hand lol. but i am open to suggestions and you might be able to persuade me. Ok so I ordered a few things and will get started this weekend hopefully it will turn out good. I purchased a Hunter Classic Bull Bar Color is black with SS skid. second item i purchased was a billet grille although after purchasing i found a member here on the forums with a flat black grille which i thought looked amazing, so i wanted some input on if i should leave it chrome or try and paint it. third thing i bought was a Bi-xenon dual beam hid conversion kit (8000k) also wanted to know if i should go with clear lenses on my corners, purchase the only other light housing they have for our ST or just save money and try to shade my lenses myself. Lastly i purchased some Krylon fusion (which i am pretty sure everyone knows what im talking abut :p) anyways im gonna try and figure out how to post the current pictures i have (dead links)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

20130925_193018_zps06223758.jpg

20130925_193034_zpsa388cf7d.jpg

20130925_193024_zps11140a22.jpg

20130925_193006_zps559609fd.jpg

20130925_192954_zpsaca7fe40.jpg

20130925_194318_zps53ff5393.jpg

20130925_222827_zpse7d9f40c.jpg

20130925_222805_zpsb86d6e67.jpg

20130925_222756_zps81e17eef.jpg

Looking forward to seeing it all come together. I'd see how you like the stainless before painting it. Might go great with the skid. Can't help you with the lighting.

Looking forward to seeing it all come together. I'd see how you like the stainless before painting it. Might go great with the skid. Can't help you with the lighting.

ya thats what my buddy was saying ill post some pictures after im done and see what yall think

Definitely in for pics of the billet grille. Might do something like that on my 03 True Blue.

Stay tuned in for this weekend hopefully if it comes in by then

2001 ST 2 WD facelift too!

(dead links) ]I'm fixing my 2WD as well. It has 188,000 miles on it and needed some love.I've attached a pic. I removed the steps for more clearance, then I used black bed liner on, well, everything! I sprayed the Front Bumper, the side and door moldings and even the Rims! Looks sinister and has held up fine.

I replaced the headlights with some HID's from a catalog. It was easier than I thought.

I also recovered the center console and arm rests with some camo material and painted the radio bezel and center console a textured flat black.

This weekend we're going to replace the bed with a custom flatbed a friend of mine is building for me. I haven't seen anyone on here do that so far? The plan is to stay with the cabin width and extend the length about an extra foot. I'm stoked for that one.

I'm not planning to do a ton of off roading, just getting me and my mountain bike where we need to go.

20130927_211728_zpsed2432ae.jpg

here we go since I just couldnt take it anymore i just had to start on something and i must say i am pretty pleased with the results. tomorrow ill start on the cladding and grill

20130928_135022_zps13cc9614.jpg
so here are the results of the grille it actually was a serious pain in the ace for something so simple. reason being i did not want to take the bumper off which gave me very limited room to work with. i ended up just using zipties and you couldnt even tell any differently
20130928_185207_zpsfe45384b.jpg
only had enough time to paint the front bumper today with prepping and painting. for this i just used the simply green with a scotch scrubby pad thingy rinsed off thoroughly until bubbles are completely gone i let air dry since the weather allowed it i then made 5 light coats with krylon fusion satin black paint then 1 heavier coat about 5 inches from the bumper which i found that it came out amazing i took off the other side claddings and bumpers which i will start painting tomorrow

I like how the billet grille and cladding came out. Not the biggest fan of HIDs without projectors but they look nice too. Keep up the work!

(dead links)'m fixing my 2WD as well. It has 188,000 miles on it and needed some love.I've attached a pic. I removed the steps for more clearance, then I used black bed liner on, well, everything! I sprayed the Front Bumper, the side and door moldings and even the Rims! Looks sinister and has held up fine.

I replaced the headlights with some HID's from a catalog. It was easier than I thought.

I also recovered the center console and arm rests with some camo material and painted the radio bezel and center console a textured flat black.

This weekend we're going to replace the bed with a custom flatbed a friend of mine is building for me. I haven't seen anyone on here do that so far? The plan is to stay with the cabin width and extend the length about an extra foot. I'm stoked for that one.

I'm not planning to do a ton of off roading, just getting me and my mountain bike where we need to go.

looks amazing!!! what did you use or do to paint the rims and i would love to see some shots of the interior and def that radio bezel

I scuffed the rims up that used etching primer before I sprayed them with Rustoleum Bed Liner. Hardest part was taping off the tires. Ended up making a duct tape circle that I used for all 4. I removed the bottom molding to spray it but just taped the door moldings. It's been about 2 months and everythig is holding up. Soon as I get it back from gettign the flat bed put on I'll post more pics.

I scuffed the rims up that used etching primer before I sprayed them with Rustoleum Bed Liner. Hardest part was taping off the tires. Ended up making a duct tape circle that I used for all 4. I removed the bottom molding to spray it but just taped the door moldings. It's been about 2 months and everythig is holding up. Soon as I get it back from gettign the flat bed put on I'll post more pics.

You should def do an actually write I see a lot of members of trying to find ways to paint rims some even suggested using plasti dip but I wouldn't even bother with that stuff

Sorry

I feel like I stole your post!. I think the things you're doing look great! I was just piling on because I like doing cheap upgrades! I like the rattle can bed liner because it's pretty forgiving. It almost self levels if you get a run. I just tilted the tire and it worked itself out. I suppose I can post a "How I did it" thing once I'm done. I've tried some Plati-Dip and it seems like things like to STICK to it. Here's my current project. I know a Navy Welder who's planning to retire and start a fabrication business. He likes to do Off Road mods. I'm his first Sport Trac conversion. He's done this with LESSER Toyota trucks. I'm excited to mess around with the design! Anyone in southern California need a 2001 ST bed WITH Tailgate? (dead links)

UPDATE!!!

new tires came in slapped those puppies on and tore up some mud.. i just went with same size as before didn't want to go into suspension and TT lifts but i am pleased with how it is coming out. i went with general grabbers at2's 265s. ill post pics tomorrow :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well hows the flat bed coming and how does the over all appearance look i know im excited to see it!

Back