It sounds like there's a small plane under my truck | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It sounds like there's a small plane under my truck

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
So within the past 3 weeks I've been noticing a new noise from under my 03 4.0. It sounds like there's a small propeller plane under my feet. It's almost like a very light rumble or humming from somewhere in the front end. As I go faster the pitch of the noise get higher and it also gets a little louder. It makes the noise when I'm on or off the gas regardless. I was thinking maybe it's like a wheel bearing or something but I'm not sure. Any ideas on this one? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Humming/roar

I started getting a real loud noise in my truck. It was so loud and humming that It would dig thru your brain. It ended up being the wheel bearing on the front driver side. I changed both, and its nice and quiet again.

Does it get worse when you make a left or right turn? If not you could be a rear diff victim

humming

You could not tell real well with mine when it was jacked up and wheel spinning. But mine if I was going around 45, it would make your teeth vibrate out. But if I was going the same speed but going around a corner it would diminish greatly. Good luck.

I have a 2003 ex 4x4. It sounds like I have the same problem, but you can only heart it going 70mph+. I think its my transfer case gear...... could this be correct and what I hear is the gear spinning freely?

Back