• Register Today It's free!

Jacking 2020 - Ford explorer

4wdExplr

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer XLT 4WD
Just a quick post. I jacked up my explorer and wanted to share what I had to do to use the factory jacking points

The 2020-2021 Explorers have jacking points at selected locations along the pinch weld at the following locations:

SideView-jackpoints.jpg

Here is a close-up shot of the rear one on a 2021 explorer
Jack-point.jpg

Normally I use a hockey puck with a notch cut in it to put on my floor jack. as you can see in the next photo, it doesn't fit in the narrow notch that Ford provided.
unmodified Puck.jpg

I wound up cutting about 1/4" off on one side to the depth of the notch to get to it to fit.

modified Puck.jpg

Hope it helps someone else.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just a quick post. I jacked up my explorer and wanted to share what I had to do to use the factory jacking points

The 2020-2021 Explorers have jacking points at selected locations along the pinch weld at the following locations:

View attachment 327289

Here is a close-up shot of the rear one on a 2021 explorerView attachment 327290

Normally I use a hockey puck with a notch cut in it to put on my floor jack. as you can see in the next photo, it doesn't fit in the narrow notch that Ford provided.
View attachment 327291

I wound up cutting about 1/4" off on one side to the depth of the notch to get to it to fit.

View attachment 327292

Hope it helps someone else.
helped me thank you

This'll be useful.

Never fails, 3 weeks old, flat tire, Supplied Jack and tools worked fine. The tire dealer used the same point to reinstall after repair. The included instructions are picky about where not to jack.

Never fails, 3 weeks old, flat tire, Supplied Jack and tools worked fine. The tire dealer used the same point to reinstall after repair. The included instructions are picky about where not to jack.
I got a flat at 3 months old and found out my Pirelli tire had a road hazard warranty so I got it for free. You may want to check your warranty booklet.

My dealer keeps damaging that plastic part near the lift point every time I go in for oil change. He says, the plastic is so flush to the lift point, they have tried everything but it is impossible to avoid it with the lift equipment they have. The supervisor did say that if it ever cracked or broke etc., they will replace it under warranty because he is confident it wouldn't crack. Fingers crossed. I love this service place, they are awesome in every way with all the Ford vehicles I have had. I would appreciate your thoughts.

IMG_0511.jpg

My dealer keeps damaging that plastic part near the lift point every time I go in for oil change. He says, the plastic is so flush to the lift point, they have tried everything but it is impossible to avoid it with the lift equipment they have. The supervisor did say that if it ever cracked or broke etc., they will replace it under warranty because he is confident it wouldn't crack. Fingers crossed. I love this service place, they are awesome in every way with all the Ford vehicles I have had. I would appreciate your thoughts.

View attachment 328395

A follow up question about jacking these guys up.

LIke many of you, I swap the tires twice a year for the winter months.

I use a floorjack like 4wdExplr does also, but in previous vehicles, I would also rotate my tires from front to back and would use jackstands to keep the vehicle up for ease.

Where do you think the best place would be for the stands? If you believe where the notch is, then would it be ok to lift the Ex up just beyond the notch? I don't plan to do rotations myself for a long time as this can be done during oil changes/inspections etc. but was just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Back