• Register Today It's free!

JBA headers

jprepotente

Reaction score
City, State
renton,washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Limited
I have an '05 with the 4.6L engine and SCT tuner from Bamachips. I am considering using the JBA headers on the engine but I am unsure if I need to retune the computer. I have tried to install a larger throttle body on the engine but the computer kept going into limp mode. Will this happen with the headers? It would really be nice if the current setup will work with the headers, I am anxious to replace the stock manifolds.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably did somthing wrong on the tb install, i installed both of mine before it was ever tuned, never went into limp mode. Ive done JBA's headers, and they are well worth the money, but installation is a real hasstle, hit me up when you decide to do them. you wont need a retune, but the vehicle will deffinately benefit from it.

well the TB i used was for a 4.6L for an F-150 4.6L. The tb measured 70MM which was about the size that I wanted without going to big. is there a m anufactureer that makes a Tb for the drive by wire for the explorer 4.6L?

I am tempted to do the JBA headers with the silver cermaic coating. Is there a benefit to using the headers with the coating versus without the coating?

not realy, they just stay looking nice longer. And ceramic would be the way to go if you were planning on making a drag car, stainless steel works fine, i got the stainless ones in mine onsale on explorer express for 350 bucks, hell of a deal. there is currently no aftermarket tbs for 04+ explorers, you would have to get the stock one ported + polished by a shop, and a new butter fly valve would be needed, its doable though, that f150 throttle body wont work propperly. 02-03 explorers are where its at if you want to mod.

If your just going for function, then the stainless is fine. If you want to throw some eye candy in, then the ceramics. I put ceramics on my Ranger, but who's going to see the headers on a lifted vechicle? LOL

FrontFlaresDoneSB.jpg

looks good, ive got a set of stainless ones about to go into my 02 ranger.
sorry to get off the point of the tread,
but Scotty J. do you have a pic of the front without a bumper, ive nvr seen one of our rangers without one.
and one of the back to see what the hitch looks like with the body lift.

Scotty J. do you have a pic of the front without a bumper, ive nvr seen one of our rangers without one.
and one of the back to see what the hitch looks like with the body lift.
Click on THIS link, lot's of pics of my ranger in various states of dress LOL.

Back