Jeep Liberty Renegade Illegal in West Virginia!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jeep Liberty Renegade Illegal in West Virginia!!!

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Hehe, while listsening to the radio today, I heard a news story about how Jeep Liberty Renegades are illegal in West Virginia, bc they are "too tall" They are 72 inches tall, and the supposedlylaw is nothing taller than 45 inches. Seems WV is the only state legislature with this rule. You can DRIVE it there, but it has to be registered in another state. Crazy huh?
Anyone else heard this deal? I thought it was kinda funny and wasnt sure if it was real of not...
--bryan
EDIT:This actually has to do with the height of the headlights it turns out... (ie how talll the lights are) ??? Intersting...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So they must be measuring the roof lights as headlights then. Basically that says that if your truck is registered in WV, you better not put lights on your roof.

but in the commercials that have the lights at the top of the windshield states fine print of course that they are for off road use only.

i guess the WV lawmakers cant read to well then unh?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by williecume
but in the commercials that have the lights at the top of the windshield states fine print of course that they are for off road use only.

i guess the WV lawmakers cant read to well then unh?:rolleyes:
Come on, this is West Virginia we are talking about here.......think about it

Originally posted by VBVASploder

Brian, remember not all people get W Virginia humor, pretty much only us REAL Virginians. Well, I don't know, maybe all surrounding states have WV humor............hmmmmmmmmmm. And since most W Virginans only drive tractors and ATVs, I don't think this law will mean much.

Robb

well, half my town is in arkansas, and half of it is in texas. i promise, w. virginians' cant hold a candle too arkansans...

that's pretty crazy comsidering the inspection form in west virgina basicly reads...
Tires - check
motor- check
hole in floor for feet in case brakes go out- check
INSPECTION PASSED!!

as of 2000, AR no longer has ANY vehicle inspections. none. nada. (and no, im not making this up).

Well next years Liberty should be okay then. The Jeep Liberty got the worst roll over rating of any new SUV and Jeep is now lowering them! Yes thats right Jeep is lowering the suspension on the Liberty because they roll over too easy, too tall and wide with skinny axles........

Thank god thes same safety standards were not in effect when the BII was made! hehehe....

Oh and CO is also getting rid of some emissions stuff in the next few years, soon you will just drive by a thing that sniffs your exhaust and says pass/ no pass. Thank goodness, I hate having those suckers driving my truck on that dyno thing....makes me nervous having some stranger pull it up, drive it on the dyno, etc.......

Originally posted by 410Fortune
Well next years Liberty should be okay then. The Jeep Liberty got the worst roll over rating of any new SUV and Jeep is now lowering them! Yes thats right Jeep is lowering the suspension on the Liberty because they roll over too easy, too tall and wide with skinny axles........

Actually this was already done. It isn't a big change, but it is lowered nonetheless.

Originally posted by VBVASploder

I had relitives in West V. I get the humor. I am really surprised they can even count that high? 72 inches that must take ten of em.

10 of 'em hahahaha greeatt stufff

Back