Jeff's 99 Explorer XLS | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jeff's 99 Explorer XLS

These are some older pics. I now have black American Racing wheels, and I am in the process of doing quite a bit to this truck. My plans are:
1) Taking off the front bumper
2) Installing a bumper guard/light mount
3) After removing the bumper, installing two more Hella lights where the current fog lights are
4) Safari Rack w/second spare tire and 4 KC highlights mounted on it
5) Fender flares and a bit wider tires
6) Some sort of lift, any suggestions are very welcome
7) Removing the side skirts and possibly adding step bars
8) Taking off the rear bumper and adding a tubular bumper
9) and much more...
I will get some new pictures up ASAP. Let me know any comments, please...

226421_2_full.jpg

1722098_1_full.jpg

226421_29_full.jpg

ffejeroni said:
Today I took off the molding and tupperware. It was a pretty tedious job. The two sided tape was a beotch!!

Jeff...are you saying that the door moldings are just held on with 2 sided tape? From your pics I can't see any evidence of where the door moldings were previously attached. Any pointers of how you got them off?

Lee

:) The wood is just temporary. I was trying out different ideas, and this was a winner. I am going to use mdf, and then make a cover plate with plexiglass and some lighting under it. It looks horrible, doen's it?? I hate the look of plywood!! I really wanted something flat, and I am going to make a box the same height to put down when I lay the seats down so it will be flat (air matress for camping), so I will be working on it soon and will post more pics...

door moldings

Hey, yeah that's kinda the point to not have any evidence:) I made the mistake of rolling it off with my thumb and ended up getting a really nasty blister. Anyways, I used a heat gun to heat up the tape, and just rolled it off. As I said earlier, I had the passanger door shell replaced, so the tape they used was a pain in the ass because it was so thick. Alos I soaked the leftovers in Goo Gone(available at Meijers or any store like that) and it came off pretty easily. Next I used bug and tar remover to get off the last of the stickies, then used a cleaner wax to clean the area, then a sealer/polisher to finish it off. Be careful if you use a heat gun on a re-painted door! I found out the hard way that it's NOT OEM quality! Now I have a dull section and a couple of chips I have to deal with:( Good luck!!

Back