jerking drivetrain | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

jerking drivetrain

fokker276

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 xlt
Hello everybody,

when towing or driving up hill (15%) my Explorer randomly jerks. Switchin to 4x4 high everything runs smooth.
Whats the problem? the transfer case or somethin electrical?
I hope somebody is able to help me.........

Thx a lot and happy new year!!!
greetings from germany

Olaf

Mine does this exact same thing, and I've read that it could be a failing ABS/speed sensor on one of the back wheels incorrectly reading wheel speed which in turn causes the transfer case to engage 4x4 Auto.

Mine does this exact same thing, and I've read that it could be a failing ABS/speed sensor on one of the back wheels incorrectly reading wheel speed which in turn causes the transfer case to engage 4x4 Auto.

Also, any one or more of the 4 tires being out of shape, having uneven tread wear ( ex. tread depth), different tire sizes etc. as the others will cause the auto 4x4 system to kick in and out as well and it will feel like a brief jerking motion in the wheels.

Well, after rebuilding the rear diff, fixing the transfer gear box and several other items like ignition and katalysator its now official. My gearbox makes the trouble. Repair or a new gearbox? Both optionsare quite expensive here in germany.
I can get a used transmission of a 1997 explorer.
Will a 1997 transmission fit into a 2005?

Thanks for your help,!

Greetings from germany

Olaf

Back