JET CHIP!!! ANGRY!!!!

flyguy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Gilbert, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 XLT V8
I just called the Jet chip people, and explianed that I am doing alot of mods and would like to send my chip in to have it reprogrammed. After a bit of persuading the guy to give me some info, he told me it would be... guess how much???..... $700!!!!!! AGHGHG!!! Whats with that?!! I had also called superchips... and guess how much they want... $125! And Ive heard Superchips is better... so what gives!!! Has anyone had a custom chip made from either company? Also, does anyone have a superchip I could buy from them that they dont want anymore? Superchips said I would have to buy a chip on top of that $125.. which still isnt bad...

nick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah Nick (FlyGuy), but even if Superchips charges $125 for reprograms and you have to pay for another chip, you can always sell the old one to someone with the same mods as when you got it for your Explorer. I think it's a little outrageous, just the same. Jet could lose a lot of business if this gets around, heheh. They should relent and either give you a new one in trade for some $$$$ or match the repro from Supachips.

Them Jet guys are rude! heh. Maybe Ill call again and see if I get someone more helpful. I guess Ill sell the chip if I cant get it programmed...sigh

Nick

bluescat, you don't need to buy another one. I have a superchip vendor up the street from me you can take one thats programmed with ANYTHING and reprogram it with something for a small fee, usually the $125 it takes to custom-program something, but you could take in one from one vehicle and get it reprogrammed for another, assuming its the same connector. I bought one for my 98 F-150 and he said it was good in most if not all fords, and if I did stuff like exhaust, headers, supercharger, etc. they could re-program it for $125.

Do you know if somplace like superchips could reprogram my Jet chip??

Nick

no, basically the superchips vendor has a computer hooked up to a cable that they plug the superchip into. They get your computer code, go up to the superchip BBS and download the appropriate file, use the Superchips program to download it into the chip itself and bam your good to go. I watched him do it while I was waiting on mine. If you want something custom done he has to send the request to the programmers who write it all up and then place it on the bulletin board to be used. The two aren't compatible Im quite certain.

What I want to know is how they tune a custom chip if they dont have your car on the dyno.. hmmm

nick

I don't know you'd have to contact them about it. I contacted them when I was inquiring and was told that after adding headers, exhaust, different tires, and a different air itnake system, the only thing that woudl actually effect the chip was the headers, and that they had already dynoed.

Cool, I have new cylinder heads too... and a TB is on the way as well... Acually, the heads are being put in right now! wish me luck!

Nick

yeah that may require a bit mroe custom set up but still they should be able to do it without your vehicle there. Thats probably where the difference is.

Hey Flyguy, I'm curious about the heads you mentioned.Are they aftermarket or reworked factory heads? Where did you get them? How much for the pair and was the investment worth it? Thanks for the help.

Derek

Well, my understanding is that they only work on 94 and earlier explorers. What they are is the 95+ heads (They are the 98 year acually... but same heads... I think!) and when installed on the earlier explorers, you get an increase in compression ratio. You could pick them up at the dealer, or off of Vanir Tecnologys. I bought mine second hand that had come from vanir. I only paid...$280 I think. And that was 50% off vanir. You might want to check that price though. its from memory. Also... my headers wont be hear for just over another week! I heard somewhere that it was easier to install them while doing the heads. Is that true? Or will it be just as hard with the engine put together? Hmm.

Nick

Back