• Register Today It's free!

Just bought it - a few questions

gsmaclean

Reaction score
City, State
Strongsville, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Limited
I just bought my second-ever American car (this is the 14th car I've owned), a 94 Explorer Limited with what seems like every possible option. A bit of rust, some minor things not working, but overall it seems like a good truck. I got it for a steal ($2,000) so I can't complain.

I've got:

- Gas gauge inoperative. Seems like this is a common complaint.

- Radio funky. It's the high-end JBL system, and the tuning buttons on the radio only work once the cabin has warmed up for 30 minutes or so. I plan to replace the head unit.

- Cruise control inoperative. Actually, it worked the day I got it, but hasn't since. Fuse for it is OK, but haven't investigated it further.

I just changed the oil and filter, and air filter, because god only knows the last time they were done.

I had a cursory look for an OBD2 connector under the dash, and didn't see one, so I assumed there wasn't one. However, I see people here talking about reading codes. Is there an OBD2 connector somewhere in this thing?

While the other gauges peg all the way to the right during startup, the gas gauge barely moves. Is this indicative of a bad gauge, cabling, or something else? I'd rather not have to drop the tank to replace the sender/float, but will if I have to.

Here's my new (to me) truck:

Explorer.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm no first gen expert, but I have heard the fuel gauge problem is in the sending unit or fuel floats.

The first year for OBDII was 95, and it wasn't fully functional at that point. You have OBDI, which has a connector under the hood, the readers for those are somewhat crude but cheap.

I'm no first gen expert, but I have heard the fuel gauge problem is in the sending unit or fuel floats.
That's pretty well what I assumed it was going to be even before I found this message board. Unfortunately.

The first year for OBDII was 95, and it wasn't fully functional at that point. You have OBDI, which has a connector under the hood, the readers for those are somewhat crude but cheap.
I wondered what year it started. My OBDII reader won't be a whole lot of help with that.

Thanks!

Obd 11

That's pretty well what I assumed it was going to be even before I found this message board. Unfortunately.

I wondered what year it started. My OBDII reader won't be a whole lot of help with that.

Thanks!

My Haynes Manual says 1996 and later uses OBD II.

I just remembered one other thing that is inoperative - the shift indicator. It stays on "P" regardless. Haven't had a look at that yet. I'm hoping my Haynes manual will arrive shortly, so I have some clue of what I am looking for.

I just remembered one other thing that is inoperative - the shift indicator. It stays on "P" regardless. Haven't had a look at that yet. I'm hoping my Haynes manual will arrive shortly, so I have some clue of what I am looking for.

If I remember correctly that is moved with a piece of string / cord and it also attacted to a spring. The String is probably broken, I've replaced a few on Ford E series vans.

If I remember correctly that is moved with a piece of string / cord and it also attacted to a spring. The String is probably broken, I've replaced a few on Ford E series vans.
Thanks, I'll have a peek at it when I replace the radio.

I ran a can of Seafoam through it last night (brake vacuum line). Made copious amounts of smoke. I've used Seafoam for years in old motorcycles, it's magic. I'll clean the MAF sensor next, while waiting for my Haynes manual to arrive.

some vehicles did start OBD2 in 95, which on some systems was a nightmear to get info out of, on some 95 gm sytems they intalled obd2 connections with obd1 computer, As far as your explorer it doesnt have OBD1, It has a ford1A connector under the hood on the drivers side fender.

Nice looking truck, great price! How many miles on this beast?

Mike

some vehicles did start OBD2 in 95, which on some systems was a nightmear to get info out of, on some 95 gm sytems they intalled obd2 connections with obd1 computer, As far as your explorer it doesnt have OBD1, It has a ford1A connector under the hood on the drivers side fender.

It does have OBD1, I got an EQQUS OBD1 (Ford) reader. The connector is on the side of the engine compartment, on the passenger side, near the firewall.

The driver's side has an identical connector above the wheel well that is red, that is for ABS diagnostics.

Nice looking truck, great price! How many miles on this beast?

Mike

119,000 when I got it, now 120,500. I'm liking it more and more every day. It's solid and (so far) reliable!

I replaced the (dying) factory stereo head unit with a Blaupunkt, wired it in to use the existing factory amp (it has the JBL premium system with factory subwoofer).

Next big job is to change the front shocks and radius arm bushings to get rid of the awful Clunk Of Death.

ob1? thats new to me, i've scanned several 91-94 explorers and only seen ford 1A connections on everyford under 1995.

disregard me my comment on the obd1, your right about the obd1 connector, my snap on scanner connector just notes it as ford 1A. sorry,lol

Back