034x4's D44 SAS thread... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

034x4's D44 SAS thread...

I think this is my first post here, but i've used this board for alot of research on explorer and ranger SAS. So i finally decided i should post my project and it's progress so far.

The truck originally is a 2003 edge 4x4. 37,000 miles with 4.10's/LS.
I had 3" body lift, fiberglass front fenders and cut rear fenders to have plenty of clearance for 35x12.50 BFG mudders. Made a trip down to savannah and on the way home my passenger hub bearing pretty much exploded. Taking with it, the pass knuckle, caliper, rotor, bent inner tie-rod, ground flat outter tie-rod. I already had the D44 in preperation for the SAS but with this, i decided to go ahead and start on it.

This is the ranger, in the beginning.

7cbc01ed.jpg

After the bearing failure, at 70mph on I-75 north...

2a08b95d.jpg

33975f5e.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Gremlinstein over there is going to build some doublers sometime in the future.

I dig the whole money thing...lockers are deffinilty pricey. Lunch boxs lockers are sometimes weaker. The hydroassist should help let us know how it works, i'd be interested as well :D

That's really kick ass Jey, I would love to see it in person once you're finished!!!

Brenton

nice !!!!! where did you get that diff. cover ? did you need a custom driveshaft or different u-joints for the swap

JS91X said:
nice !!!!! where did you get that diff. cover ?

It is from blue torch fab (BTF).

034x4 said:
And yes, i'll probably leave a hub un-locked until i get to a difficult obstacle/portion of the trail. I am contemplating hydro-assist though.

With a spool, alloy shafts and CTM's you are going to be blowing up ALOT of manual hubs. I suggest you get some drive flanges and use them instead. If you really want to run the manuals I would suggest getting them cryo'ed. As for the hydro assist steering I would also recommend it to relieve some pressure off the frame/steering box and to have 2 finger turning

if your looking for another set of warns i might be selling my brand news so i can go drive flange

Signing up for progress reports.

Great build!!!

Drool on your edge and progress.

does BTF have a website ? and does anyone have some tips cause im converting my 91 4x2 xplorer to 4x4 with a d44 and 9'' rear

more pics of the front end where you mounted the springs !!!

JS91X< have you tried a search?

Blue Torch Fab does indeed have a website, if you type in Blue Torch Fab in Google it will take you there.

There are about 570000 solid axle conversions on this forum, you can search for everything you need to know.

thanks alot man

Brian1 said:
With a spool, alloy shafts and CTM's you are going to be blowing up ALOT of manual hubs. I suggest you get some drive flanges and use them instead. If you really want to run the manuals I would suggest getting them cryo'ed. As for the hydro assist steering I would also recommend it to relieve some pressure off the frame/steering box and to have 2 finger turning

This will be a DD so drive flanges will be out of the question. I have one set of brand new Warn premiums and my spare set is a brand new set of milemarker's.

Hydro assist I will definately do, probably not until after i get it on the road.

JS91X said:
more pics of the front end where you mounted the springs !!!

Here's the best one i have...
It's a center 2x2 steel peice welded to 4x4 ends cut in an open-c to mount the springs into. Same for the rear shackle mounts. I will trim them down when i get the alcan springs in (1.5 weeks left i think).

84a7533b.jpg

Ok got my alcan springs in today. Put 'em on with new shackles (uncut).

I have too much pinion angle, about 25* at ride height, whoops. took the perches back off and will move them 10* forward, and leave it at that. Weld those on, re-bolt axle under the truck and set the caster and weld the knuckles back on.

Then i'll strip paint and assemble the axle.

Here's some pics of today's work so far.

7c34e763.jpg

68275d44.jpg

7b53bf9f.jpg

e7ee3b60.jpg

2ef38c6b.jpg

Hey man, thoes waggy springs you have, i'd like some info on thoes. HOw old are they and are they 7 leaf or 5 leaf?

Your buildup looks good, and yes i have just moved to Acworth, off Mars Hill rd. definitely give me some info. I might be interested in thoes waggy's

Yomie said:
Hey man, thoes waggy springs you have, i'd like some info on thoes. HOw old are they and are they 7 leaf or 5 leaf?

Your buildup looks good, and yes i have just moved to Acworth, off Mars Hill rd. definitely give me some info. I might be interested in thoes waggy's

Thanks.

The springs are off of a junkyard 1981 waggoneer. 7 leaf. The bushings are starting to crack and fall apart and the main leaf on one of them is bent in the opposite direction of the arc, about a 1/4".

?s

hey man, im in the planning stages of a sas for my 01. i had some ?s that maybe u could answer. what are your spring perch widths from end to end? did u narrow your waggy axle? n what make are yer fenders? i bet their glassworks huh? its funny that i found this thread because u set your truck up just how i want to(except for tire n wheels). but much props to yer truck

lookin good

wkrugerjr said:
hey man, im in the planning stages of a sas for my 01. i had some ?s that maybe u could answer. what are your spring perch widths from end to end? did u narrow your waggy axle? n what make are yer fenders? i bet their glassworks huh? its funny that i found this thread because u set your truck up just how i want to(except for tire n wheels). but much props to yer truck

- Off the top of my head, I think its right at 37".

- No, its a factory non-widetrac 1981 D44.

- No, they are Hannemann fenders.

- and thanks.

Back