Just completed swaybar disconnect mod | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just completed swaybar disconnect mod

beaston1

Reaction score
City, State
Va Beach, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT, 4wd, 4door
yes...i literally just completed my swaybar disconnect mod for the front end.....quite possibly the easiest thing i have ever done, used an air wrench to get the nut and bolt off (took about 10 seconds each side), placed the clevis pin (7/16" x 2 1/2") in the hole ,then just used a washer to get a correct alignment for the cotter pin, and whala!! im done.....pics will be up soon. Have yet to test it offroad without swaybars...so I will keep you posted.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm looking to do something like this to my Mustang. I'm assumming you keep the bar in when disconnected, so how do you keep it out of the way of moving parts?

Why would you want to disco the sway bar on a Mustang?

No pics necessary, we have all seen sway bars dico'ed, however congrats on an easy job well done.

You use zip ties or bungee cords to keep them tucked up and out of the way when 4x4ing, some guys fabricate a mount on the frame rails so the pin can be put back in to hold the bar up.

On my truck if I am going to be wheeling for more than 1 day I remove the rear bar from the axle completely (4 bolts)

The front bar tucks up against the frame nice and tight so no need to remove anything but the disconnects

410Fortune said:
however congrats on an easy job well done.

hahaha...thanks, it could have taken me hours!!!......(not)
but I have one little problem with them now, they make a little clunking noise when going over large bumps cause i suppose they are a little loose, but them seem pretty snug to me though, hopefully nothing to worry about.

nothing to worry about, mine do that too.... and the way I did my disconnects, I have two metal O-rings around the sway bar, so I sound like Santa Clause and his reindeer comin down the road b/c they "jingle" against the sway bar. haha

--Ryan

I use some springs on my pins up front to take up the slop :)

Well I want to disconnect them on the Mustang when I have to pull the Explorer out of the mud. Just kidding.

When I take it to the track it makes a noticable difference in launching if you disconnect it.

Jim

Back