Just got 22mpg in my V8 Explorer!

RTStork

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Grand Bay, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT 5.0L 2WD
I don't expect evryone to believe me, because I might not have believed it if I read this post by someone else, but heres the scoop. I just got back from a trip and it was 203 miles back to my house. I had the cruise control on 70 and running A/C on norm. 32lbs of air in the 235/75/15 Wranglers, 3.73 gears. I filled up when I got in town and could just barely squueze in 9.2 gallons. This comes out to 22mpg! I was expecting about 19.5 but I am very pleased. The best I got before was 19.7 but I was bone stock, no dual exhaust or cut air box. I ran the same speed and outside temps were about the same. Would the exhaust and cut air box really give a 2.3 mpg gain?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by RTStork
[B. Would the exhaust and cut air box really give a 2.3 mpg gain?

It sure can.

I went from around 18 to an 223-24 MPG average. The changes include:
custom cat back exhayst
KKM air filter
synthetic fluids all around
multo coat Zaino shine

how in heaven are you guys getting around 19/20 mpg in your v8 explorers? i can expect that in the v6 sohc, but not in the v8. my best was 14.9 mpg in strictly freeway driving @ an avg. 75 mph. my truck averages around 9-12 mpg hwy/city combined.

Last time I peeked mine was a V6 SOHC unless it growed....

I dunno... But it can be done. I've done it in my moms 01 eddie bauer awed w/ the 5.0
Pete

The best i've been able to get out of mine is 16.3mpg. Worst has been 12.

you *******!!!! j/k

i wish i could get that milage, hell, i wish i could break 12.

Originally posted by Fat Boy
you *******!!!! j/k

i wish i could get that milage, hell, i wish i could break 12.

It was on that long hwy run, but i usually average much lower when I'm playing around.

Originally posted by Heath
I want to know how he got a 5.0 2wd unless its a saleen???

I'm sure that the 5.0L has been available in all 4 door Explorers since the body change up untill they went to the 4.6L. I have a pics link in my sig. It shows my engine and you can see the 5.0L intake plate.

I can vouch for that. My mom has one.

I was unaware that they ever made a 5.0 liter in a 2wd... I'd like to see pics of that...

And just so you know the V8 started in 96...

I was unaware that they ever made a 5.0 liter in a 2wd... I'd like to see pics of that...

And just so you know the V8 started in 96...

Click the pics link in my sig. Im pretty sure I have an engine bay pic. Thanks for the tip on 96 being the first year of the 5.0 in an Explorer.

Ive got a 1998 2wd 5.0......................
WOOHOOO...................I achieved a awesome 14 miles to the gallon.....after all the mods Ive done .........LOL
I guess It will get better once I leave it alone long enough for the computer to know what Ive done...........LOL

Fuel economy is directly related to driving habits/techniques.

An example ... I can get 23-24 highway MOG where my son in my truck averages only about 18-19 on the highway.

Driving techniques.....

Re: Re: Just got 22mpg in my V8 Explorer!

Originally posted by aldive

It sure can.

I went from around 18 to 223-24 MPG average

18 to 223? wow!! that zaino shine does wonders... :D :bounce:

yes, it all matters on driving style.

my mother use to have a 1997 5.0 AWD Mountaner and she got about 15-17 MPG on a daily basis.

with my 1997 5.0 X i can only get 12 MPG and its because im always heavy on the throttle, especially on dead starts. (i like to get ahead of taffic ;) )

though i do recommend to keep it between 1 and 2 k RPMs while driving.

Re: Re: Re: Just got 22mpg in my V8 Explorer!

Originally posted by COOLCHRISCUSH

18 to 223? wow!! that zaino shine does wonders... :D :bounce:

My mileage is much better than my typing... sorry.

Heath, the 1996-2001 5.0 Explorers were available in two-wheel drive and all-wheel drive. I'm not sure about the 4.6 V8 Explorer. My truck is two-wheel drive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 5.0 - 2WD normally gets in the single digits, but when I put on the rear spoiler it went up to like 37 MPG/Hwy.

oh wait,

no it did'nt - that was what that magnet thing was SUPPOSED to do....

I got 11 on the Hwy home Thanksgiving.....

Back