• Register Today It's free!

Key pad code

robbiey`9

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I just bought a 2002 XLT from a toyota dealership and they told me I was going to have to go to Ford to get the code for my keypad. I called Ford and they want $74 to do it. Is there any way other than hooking it up to the computer to get the code, ie is it on the vehicle anywhere? Thanks for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you remove the passenger side C pillar, you'll find the module with the 5 digit code on there..

What is the C-pillar?

in the back on the left side where you have your jack stored...take it off and look deep in the compartment. you will see a gray or black little box...you will need a flashlight and a small mirror probably.

He has a 3rd generation.. Its not there.. They moved it to behind the 2nd row seat panel..

Thanks. Hopefully I'll be able to pull it tonight. Are instructions to reprogram it in the owner's manual?

There should be something about ADDING a personal code in there, but the sticker on the module is a permanent code and cannot be changed unless you do major modifications to the module. It's doable though but it's pretty tough.

uhh if you're going to be modding the module you'd have to dig it out and you'd see the code anyway... most people forget the permanent code, that's why ford put a line in the manual for you to write it in...

To change the code after you find your original just input your new 5 digit code within 3 seconds of entering the first. In other words, enter original, enter new right after, all set. The code for my 99 is in the compartment where the jack is housed like someone else here mentioned.

I went to Ford the other day about my key codes. I had the same problem, bought the X used and didn't know where to find the codes. The guy at the parts desk was ready to give me the code....Until they found out that it was a 95. They told me that they could pull the codes out of their computer using the VIN number on 96 and newer. All I would have needed was my licence and registration or a bill of sale.

Maybe all Ford Dealers aren't capible of this?

a 95 is teh same as a 96 so go back and tell hime what to pull out of where... the code for a 95 is hidden near teh rear jack hole (jack storage) lokk up tward fron in hole with a mini mag...

For the 2002 when you open the rear passenger door the little black box with the code on it is immediately on your left, where the second row seat belt is.

You don't have to unscrew the seat belt bolt, but it is a heck of a lot easier if you do. Then just pull the plastic panel away from the truck and the black box will be sitting there in it's own holder. There will then be a sticker on it stating a bunch of different numbers, look for a set of numbers that is only 5 digits longand thats it.

Yeah, I found my codes alright. I was just mentioning that if you didn't feel like digging around looking and had a 96 or newer, Ford should be able to tell you.

Thank you guys. I'll look behind the panel tonight and let you know how it turns out. Is there any secret to pulling the panel away without damaging it? Is the box down towards the floorboard or is it up higher in the panel?

A good idea might be to see if the Toyota dealer you bought it from has a Ford dealership as well. That's what happened with mine; I bought it from a Toyota dealer and drove right over to their Ford lot and went in, talked to the service manager, and he came right out to my Ex and found the code for me for free. If they try to charge you, talk to the Toyota dealership or find a different Ford dealer.

Back