Key won't turn ignition after trying new uncut key for size | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key won't turn ignition after trying new uncut key for size

rc1626

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
I stuck a new uncut key in my ignition to see if it would fit. After I pulled it out and tried my original key the original key will not turn in the ignition now. What did I screw up? Is there any way for me out of this without calling a locksmith?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

What you did shouldn't have screwed up anything. Either one of the little slugs that the key pushes on has gotten stuck in the up position, or your steering wheel lock is putting tension on the lock and not allowing it to turn.

Try moving the steering wheel to the left or right a little bit to see if that allows the key to turn or spray a little bit of WD40 into the lock and insert your key multiple times to see if that will release the slug. Tapping on the key lock with a hammer might also help to release the slug (they're spring loaded).

Thanks for the response. Before I read this I actually called a local locksmith and they suggested the same as you. Spray some WD-40 in the keyhole. I pushed the key in and out a couple times quickly and that fixed it.
Whew! Almost had heart failure.
Thanks again.

Back