• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry code problem

Kjhadfield

Reaction score
City, State
Panama City Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 sport trac 4wd
I got an itch, again, to see if I can get this thing to work.

I was lucky, I guess, when I bought the truck it came with the manual and had the code card inside. So I have my code, no problem. But the code doesn't unlock drivers door on entry, nor pressing 3/4 (within 5 secs of code) to unlock all doors. However, pressing both 7/8 and 9/0 does lock all doors and shuts off all lights. Me always trying to see if I can get this fixed is done during the day so I had no idea if the keypad even illuminated. So last night I did more testing. I pressed 1 key/button at a time and waited for the lights to shut off before pressing the next. Every button does illuminate the keypad on its own. So I'm guessing every button has power and/or good contact?

I did find this thread with a similar problem http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306944 towards the end is a service bulletin thingy, I guess had answered his problem but I'm not 100% on how to read it. There seems to be 2 types of keypads, I have the gfa which is not wired and uses rf the same as your rke. It then goes on to say although the gfa keypad isn't in the wsm to follow the rke procedure then to press 7/8 and 9/0 for the keypad to be recognized. I don't know what procedure to follow.

But I did find this thread http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=195398 that shows the procedure to add hand remotes. Is this the procedure that was mentioned above located in the wsm?

I also read if you need to program 1 remote you need to do them all at the same time for them all to work. Since my keypad is rf like my 1 remote, do I do the procedure above then hit the hand remote button then the keypad 7/8 & 9/0 buttons (or vise versus, keypad then remote)? But the key is to do both and not 1 without the other?

I just wanted clarification so I don't make matters worse

Does disconnected the battery (neg) lose the memory for the keypad? It doesn't lose memory for the remotes but I thought I read somewhere, something about disconnecting the neg terminal losses memory to something.

Also, since every button illuminates the keypad can we rule out bad keypad or some kind of module or whatnot?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump

Well I followed the procedure to program the remote keyless entry and followed the directions to press 7/8 & 9/0 (for the keyless pad) and it says the locks will cycle to confirm successfully programmed. My locks didn't cycle (cycle does mean to lock then unlock?) they only locked.

So since I know my 7/8, 9/0 button work (can lock vehicle) and 1/2, 3/4, 5/6 can turn on interior lights and keypad illumination… is it still possible for 1 of the buttons to not have good 'contact' when entering the code? How else could I further diagnose the cause of the problem. Does it seem like whatever module has control of the keypad, isn't picking up what I'm (my keypad) putting down? But at the same time it's picking up my remote just fine.

Thanks for any suggestions

I have same issue. Do you get yours resolve? I yes, please share.

Elliot

No, unfortunately I haven't resolved this issue. I tried to explain in as much detail as I could in search of help but no luck so far. I still believe the contacts inside the keypad are functional because pressing every button will illuminate the pad and interior lights. And also since it is a stock but wireless keypad makes me believe it is syncing, because the buttons will illuminate dome lights and it will lock all doors by pressing the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons. But why it won't unlock the truck with supplied code is beyond my understanding. Even trying to program it along with the keyless remote doesn't give a successful 'lock/unlock' sequence, but my remote will. The only thing I'm left wondering is if I need 2 remotes in order to successfully program the keypad. I only have 1 remote.

here's a thought.....in the beginning you said you have the code. what if this was an added code by the original owner and it has since then been cleared. This means the only code that would work is the factory code which you would have to get off the lock module. Just a thought because we had codes for our vehicles but they were always changed to codes that we wanted......easier to remember. I got my truck back from the paint shop and code didnt work.. I sure as hell couldnt remember the factory code. So once i got it i just left it at that

The code I have been using or trying is printed and laminated on a card that came in the owners manual, pretty sure it's the card given when bought new. I never did check the module thing thou because I had the card. Maybe I'll peak for the code on the module to confirm

Back