• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry Codes???

mpally

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Eddie Bauer
I bought a used Ex and it has the keyless entry, the keypad on the door type. The dealer does not know the code( it is not a Ford dealer), what do I do now? Can the dealer tell me the code over the phone? Any help is appreciated. BTW, it is a 2002 if it matters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in the "jack" compartment in the rear cargo area, on the driver's side. If you look in there towards the front of the vehicle, you will see a black or gray box. On that box will be a sticker, and somewhere on that sticker will be a 5-digit code. That is your keypad code.

This does not work on some newer models, but check just in case.

Attachments

• pcm.jpg
    pcm.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 9,965

My jack is not in that location. Can anyone else help me out? It is a 2002.

Same thing occured with a friend who just purchased a 2003 Excursion, The dealer said that the lock code can be read from the computer and that it is not located in the truck anywhere.

Robb:

The pic that you posted has what looks like masking tape on the side of the gray box and possibly a white sticker on the front facing the panel. Which one has the code and do you have to remove the box from the mounting bracket?

I can't see anything visible on the 99 I just bought.

Thanks

Bill M.

Originally posted by Bill MacLeod
Robb:

The pic that you posted has what looks like masking tape on the side of the gray box and possibly a white sticker on the front facing the panel. Which one has the code and do you have to remove the box from the mounting bracket?

I can't see anything visible on the 99 I just bought.

Thanks

Bill M.

It should be on that white sticker. You might have to use a flashlight and a mirror to see the number. It should be a 5 digit number.

Bill,

In that pic, the white sticker on the front of the gray box has the code on it. There is a bunch of other typing on it, but the code will be by itself and in a larger font than the rest.

The box shouldn't have to be removed. I have read stories here about having to use a flashlight and a handheld mirror, and having to twist your head in funky positions to be able to really see the code. On that X in the pic, all I had to do was use a flashlight and pull out on the plastic panel a little to see it. From memory, it was little more difficult to see on my '95, but I don't why there would be any difference.

Just take a good, hard look and see what you find. Let me know if you can't come up with it.

On the 2002's and up, you have to go to the dealer to get the code. When I bought my 2003 Ex new, the card with the code was missing; the only way to get it is to have it pulled out of the computer and it isn't found anywhere on the truck.

I don't have that compartment there on mine. It is a little storage spot with an elastic netting. I don't see how it comes out either. I went by the dealer today and they want $40 to hook it up to the computer. Does anyone else have any ideas? I am not sure that anyone really knows for sure. It seems that everyone I talk to thinks it is in a different location.

I am a technician for Ford and there are two ways to get the keyless entry code on the new body style Explorer. The easiest (if the dealership doesn't charge you!) is to go to the dealer and have them retrieve the code with the scan tool. The second: Ford decided to move the keyless entry module from the jack area on earlier Explorers to behind the c-pillar trim on the right side. The c-pillar is the pillar next to the second row seat. This can be hard and expensive if you do not know how to properly remove the trim panels. First you need to remove the upper trim panel where the upper seat belt anchor is. Then fold the second row seat forward. You do not need to remove the entire right side quarter trim but you need to release it along the
front edge. You should be able to pull the panel out far enough to see the code. It will be a five digit number. Hope this helps.

Originally posted by mpally
I don't have that compartment there on mine. It is a little storage spot with an elastic netting. I don't see how it comes out either. I went by the dealer today and they want $40 to hook it up to the computer. Does anyone else have any ideas? I am not sure that anyone really knows for sure. It seems that everyone I talk to thinks it is in a different location.
You have a storage compartment and elastic pouch on the driver's side of the cargo area? Sounds like the passenger side.

Ford_Doctor, Great info!! Thank You!!

Yep, on the drivers side. I guess I'll just have to pay $40 to have the dealer retrieve it. Thanks for all your help.

Thanks Robb, I'll check again. Might have to twist this old body into a position it hasn't been in awhile. lol

Bill M.

Thanks Ford_Doctor. The label was in the C-Pillar on my '03 Explorer just as you described. Thanks for saving me the $$$!!! PS: If anyone else tries this, it is easier to install the upper seatbelt panel after pulling some of the weatherstripping back. Geeently...

Does anyone know where the code is located on a 2001 Ex Sport Model? There are no electronics in the Jack Compartment.

It may be behind the passenger side airbag. On Rangers they mount the keyless entry unit there and it may be there on some explorers as well. Drop the glove compartment by pushing the sides in and let it drop down. Take out the 2 bolts above the glove compartment that hold the airbag in and it may be a gray or white box behind the airbag. Here's a picture of where it is in a Ranger -- it's the white box held in by 2 screws in the upper left of the picture.

296394_71_full.jpg

Back