• Register Today It's free!

KKM Install completed.

Moses

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT 4x4
Hey folks, it's been a while since i checked out the forums on here.
On saturday I installed my spankin' new KKM kit into my 93 explorer xlt.

So, saturday it runs great, definite improvement in power generated, it's obviously breathing way better.

Sunday it seemed fine.

Monday morning, the 'Check Engine' light is coming on intermittently... i noticed once that it came on when the truck was at low RPM in Overdrive, so i shifted into Drive and the light went off immediately.

EDIT:
Also, when at idle (and the check engine light is on) the idle seems a little rough ... nothing real bad, but a little rough.

First thing i thought of was the MAF box being damaged... or dirty filaments in there... the only thing is, when i did the work, i never opened said MAF, never dropped it or anything.
EDIT: i guess what i dont understand is; why now? if it's MAF / KKM related, shouldn't that have shown up right away?

So uhm... what should i try first? ;)

Thanks for any input ya'll can provide.

EDIT#2: what is the now-removed Heat-Riser Assembly for?

if you think its your MAF get a security star torx set and take it out, spray with carb or elec parts cleaner and let air dry, then reinstall.

only way to know for sure it to get an OBD-I code reader and get the codes.

i reposted this in the 'under the hood' section. Could a MOD please remove it?

Moses said:
Monday morning, the 'Check Engine' light is coming on intermittently... i noticed once that it came on when the truck was at low RPM in Overdrive, so i shifted into Drive and the light went off immediately.

EDIT#2: what is the now-removed Heat-Riser Assembly for?

Most likely not related to the True-Rev installation, but without scanning the code it is guesswork. You could try cleaning the MAF and re-setting the ECU if you do not have easy access to a scanner.

The heat riser is for cold start emissions a faster warmup in cold climates.

Back