knocking/clanking sounds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

knocking/clanking sounds

rustybolt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
94' XLT 2WD
so for a long time ive had this knocking sound on the passenger side of the car but I pretty much ignored it and then recently its been accompanied by a subtle clanking sound. which could be completely separate but I did a search on the forums and people were saying anything from the tie rods, end links, bushings etc. Im just curious about the best way of systematically narrowing down the cause. thanks.

You might want to start by looking at the obvious points like the sway bar end links, exhaust, etc. Just get under there with some gloves and grab stuff and see if theres any noise. You might also check that the parking brake cable hasn't come loose from it's hanger under the leaf spring and is making contact with the exhaust pipe during suspension travel.

If you're only getting a clunk when hitting a bump, and it sounds like it's from the front passenger side, the radius arm bushings might need to be changed. This is a common issue on 1st gens, especially if the bushings have never been replaced. Replacement with polyurethane bushings makes for a big improvement.

the famous knocking and clanking sounds

Not to scare you but you should not ignore things like this. If need be go into a shop that will give you a free estimate. This could be very dangerous. You can pull on the sides of the wheel and feel for play, or pull on the top of the wheel and check for play. Jacking it up is best. I agree amine4x4 check the radius arm bushings, and if there bad, buy high quility replacements.

I bought my explorer with a bad rattleing and klunking in the right front. After taking it home i found out the previous owner (who was family so i knew most of the cars history) had ignored the noise for a bout 2 years. I looked underneath to find out that the bushing had actually fallen apart and was missing! It didnt do any damage but it made handling on gravel terrible. So just a small fix like that can also fix handling troubles and stability.

Back