KOER CODE 10 and CODE 538 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KOER CODE 10 and CODE 538

mflores

Reaction score
Yesterday, I borrowed a SNAP-ON scanner to perform KOEO & KOER tests on my 1992 Explorer 4wd.
The KOEO showed code 111 which is a passing code. Dead Link Removed
The KOER showed 2 codes Dead Link Removed
code 10--SNAP THROTTLE
code 538--INVALID CYLINDER BALANCE TEST DUE TO THROTTLE MOVENMENT.
Can anyone tell me what exactly these codes are. I ran the test twice. Clearing the codes after the first test. On the second test the same two codes showed up again. The SNAP ON SCANNER also shows data of the truck while is running. The 02 sensor is working properly (swithcing from above and below 500 mv). The TP=TPS(V).84 I guess this means the voltage at the throttle position is 840 mV. Any help will be really appreciated

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
H/T 8.5x15 Centerline wheels
31x10.5 BRIDGESTONES A/T DUELERS
K&N filter
OUTLAND front & rear guards
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
SPLITFIRE ignition wires & BOSCH PLATINUM +4 plugs
,...& more to come

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK I'm getting a little confused with these codes

I'm reading from my "HAYNES" repair manual on the "Emmisions controls system", and code 10 is not listed under trouble codes.
Code 538 --Invalid cylinder balance test due to throttle movenment during test--(1995 models)--, does this means that this code only applies to 1995 models and does not apply to my 1992 Explorer???.

After a little reading I realized that "cylinder balance test" is a test that determines injectors balance as well as cylinder compression balance. Does anybody know how to test the THROTTLE POSiTION SENSOR?..,which is mounted on top of the throttle body. I may have to bring the truck to a FORD dealer, it will really help any input from you (members) before I have to.

THANKS......

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
K&N filter
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
,...& more to come

The code 10 "snap throttle" is not a code, it is a command- literally telling you to blip the vehicle throttle. Snapping the throttle open is required to run one of the tests. If you don't do it, you get the 538 code.

The self-test diagnostic routine is pretty good at catching intermittant TPS failures and storing them for the KOEO test. The KOER test should catch any dynamic conditions with the TPS.

Jake & Maniak:
I would like to thank you for taking your time for your immediate response regarding this particular subject. I ran the tests once again, this time following Jake's response and guess what.. Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed Dead Link Removed
no more codes.... THANKS AGAIN.......

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
K&N filter
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
,...& more to come

OK I'm getting a little confused with these codes

I'm reading from my "HAYNES" repair manual on the "Emmisions controls system", and code 10 is not listed under trouble codes.
Code 538 --Invalid cylinder balance test due to throttle movenment during test--(1995 models)--, does this means that this code only applies to 1995 models and does not apply to my 1992 Explorer???.

After a little reading I realized that "cylinder balance test" is a test that determines injectors balance as well as cylinder compression balance. Does anybody know how to test the THROTTLE POSiTION SENSOR?..,which is mounted on top of the throttle body. I may have to bring the truck to a FORD dealer, it will really help any input from you (members) before I have to.

THANKS......

------------------
92 Explorer EB 4x4 4door
2.5 RANCHO lift kit
9000 adjustable shocks
K&N filter
Windjammer air deflector
GTS F/R light covers
,...& more to come

the code ten doesn't it aprear right after the display of hoe many culinders? If so this is the signal to perform a "goose" test. when the ten apears you push down quickly once all the way to the floor

Back