Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
The Land Rover sale is now final guys, here's the story.

-------

By JUSTIN HYDE
The Associated Press
5/24/00 6:19 PM

DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) -- Now that Ford Motor Co. has taken control of Land Rover, Ford CEO Jac Nasser says the British luxury truck maker will have to meet the environmental standards Ford has set out for its sport utility vehicles.

Otherwise, buyers of the expensive SUVs will see not see many changes for a few years, as Ford slowly kneads the Land Rover line into its Premier Automotive Group of luxury vehicles.

"It's a going business, and we'd like the opportunity to grow the business," Nasser said Wednesday.

Nasser's comments came after Ford finalized its deal to buy Land Rover from BMW AG for $2.7 billion. The deal was announced in March as part of BMW's push to shed its Britain-based Rover passenger car division and Land Rover.

Under the deal, Ford will take over the rights to the Land Rover brands, the Land Rover plant in Solihull, England, the research and development plant in Gaydon, England, the Land Rover dealer network, the British Motor Industry Heritage Center and 13,000 employees.

The first two-thirds of the $2.7 billion purchase price are to be paid immediately and the final third of the payment will be made by 2005, BMW said.

Land Rover sells four models of luxury SUVs, two of which -- the Range Rover and the Discovery -- are imported to the United States. The company built about 160,000 vehicles last year, generating between $5 billion and $6 billion in revenue.

Nasser said Ford would make Land Rover meet federal corporate average fuel economy standards so that its vehicles were not charged the "gas-guzzler" tax. One way to do that would be to import the Defender, an SUV that's smaller than the Discovery and gets better gas mileage, improving the overall fleet average.

Land Rover is not profitable, Nasser said, and will not be for the next two years. But the company expects Land Rover to generate "good profitability" in the third year, he said.

"Land Rover has been selling about 30,000 units in the American market. There's a huge potential for improvement there," Nasser said.

Nasser said Ford hadn't decided on any changes to Land Rover's British facilities. A quick review found "some very modern and very good design parts, and there are some parts that need work."

BMW will still earn some revenue from Land Rovers, which use an extensive number of BMW components and engines. Ford will pay BMW for work in progress; BMW, not Ford, will be responsible for the launch of the next generation Range Rover due out next year.

Land Rover was considered one of the jewels of the Rover group when BMW paid $1.2 billion for the company in 1994. Earlier this month, BMW sealed a deal to sell Rover cars to Britain's Phoenix consortium after investing $4.1 billion in a failed, six-year effort to restore the unit to profitability.

The Ford-Land Rover deal caps a two-year period of mergers, acquisitions and alliances in the auto industry that consolidated power among a global Big Six: General Motors Corp., Ford, DaimlerChrysler AG, Toyota Motor Co., Volkswagen AG and Renault.

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

[This message has been edited by Stephen (edited 05-24-2000).]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Let's see what the future brings. What always surprises and worries me is the Ford officials talking about Land Rover as a manufacturer of luxury SUV's. Land Rover's bread and butter product, how they like to call it in the U.K., is the Defender, which is a work truck, about as luxurious as a F 150 in base trim! This is what forrestry authorities, contractors, farmers and armies throughout Europe use for their business. I just hope, Ford does not messes with that car, but brings it as a no-nonsense truck with a decent price to the U.S. (In Switzerland, a new Defender costs between $ 22'000 and 27'000 Dead Link Removed )

What I'm also curious about is, that Ford's new SUV to come, I think it's called Excape, I mean Escape, targets exactly the same market as Land Rover's Freelander, which is in production for now about 3 years. From the looks, they even could be twins. Will that mean, no Freelanders for the U.S. and no Escapes for Europe?

Last point, Mr. Nasser talking about Land Rover being gas-guzzlers: Correct for the United States. For the rest of the world, around 75% of all Land Rovers sold (except Range Rovers) are Diesel, very economical Diesel in fact with an average milage of about 25 miles per gallon. (even about 25% of all J**p Grand Cherokee have a 3 liter diesel engine in Europe, but there aren't any diesel Explorers) Here in Virginia, Diesel is about 20 cts per gallon cheaper than 91 octane. Wouldn't it be worth a thought to bring the diesels to the U.S. Thinking of our hobby, diesels would anyhow be first choice with lots of low end torque, good economy, no ignition which could get wet ...; just the sound of the engine can't keep up with a big V6 or V8 Dead Link Removed

These just some thoughts of my part.

Have fun and tread lightly

I just hope Ford reconfigures it's prices.
Considering a base Land Rover costs 34k and a limited Explorer costs around 34k, it's not a hard choice which I'd pick. The Land Rover is so much more better built and it's so simple a kid could work on it. The interior is beautiful. The cloth seats in the base were much more comfortable than the leather ones in the Explorer..the leather Rover seats were amazing. I was just in a Ford dealership the other day and the new Explorers just feel cheap. My 93 seems better built than the new ones. It seems Ford is playing on the fact people don't care about quality, they just want to say they drive an Explorer. I've only looked at a SportTrac, haven't driven yet, but if it's the same quality of the Explorer's I might be getting something esle...and not a Ford. Sorry guys, I can't wait forever for you to built good cars. My Exploder isn't going to hold together that long. What happened to Quality is job 1? Ford's lucky they've got Land Rover because that's the #2 on my list of SUVs if I buy another.

Anybody hear more rumors of Ford buying BMW?

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

I agree with you. I drove a 2000 Limited and I didn't feel it was as high quality a vehicle as my 97. This is also the first time I've ever considered another SUV other than an Explorer. I drove a customer's new 2001 Infiniti QX4 sure was nice...

------------------
Stephen Withrow
StephenLS400@aol.com
------------------
97 Explorer Limited 4X4 SOHC V6
98 Lexus LS400

I was talking to a Land Rover sales man and he had said that the Defender stoped geting imported in to the U.S. because it did not meet safty standerds (i.e. no airbags). I liked the Defender the best because it looked like the early Ford Broncos (1966-1977). I hope this merger will be very good for Ford and Land Rover. Besides I like to go up to people who buy foren cars because they don't like American cars and ask them, "How do you like your Ford?":)

I liked the Defender too. It was a very unique truck. You're right about why they stopped importing them. I don't blame them really. In order to bring it to US standards they would have to ruin it.

Back