LOCKONS7RA7US

Reaction score
City, State
Everett washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 , eddie bauer
Callsign
Taco Run
Hey there guys so like the thread says I'm looking to buy a larger mass airflow sensor for my 1992 ford explorer eddie bauer edition. I've seen other posts about this I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm hoping to get a solid lead on where to buy a larger aftermarket mass airflow sensor. Other than buying a 5.0L which a lot of ppl seem to do but I'm not sure it's rigt since I've read good and bad things about . If anyone can help that would be awesome so I can kick this project in gear . Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you have supporting mods & ability to tune? If not it's a waste.
I have seen some pop up on eBay or CL....PM jd4242 he's got a built 4.0, he might have leads on finding one.

I don't know that you really need a bigger MAF. It's detecting velocity of air. If you bore the engine out, it will suck more air in and the velocity will read higher. Kinda like reading miles per hour, it is what it is regardless of how you get there. From what I've seen, people use the stock MAF with a built engine. What's popular is to change the MAF body so you get less restriction but the MAF is what suits the engine.

for what its worth, if you need a larger one, i have to replace my 90mm lightning maf for a larger one and will be selling it. you will need tuning for it, that is a guarantee. but i have to ask, why do you think your going to need a larger one? like in a earlier post, jd's truck is a supercharged v6. he needs more air into the motor. are you planing on doing something like that?

I used a 5.0L explorer maf sampling tube, transferred my sensor onto it. I did it cause the junk yard gave me the tube for free and I like the design of the newer unit, easier for me to clean.

Hey there guys so like the thread says I'm looking to buy a larger mass airflow sensor for my 1992 ford explorer eddie bauer edition. I've seen other posts about this I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse here but I'm hoping to get a solid lead on where to buy a larger aftermarket mass airflow sensor. Other than buying a 5.0L which a lot of ppl seem to do but I'm not sure it's rigt since I've read good and bad things about . If anyone can help that would be awesome so I can kick this project in gear . Thanks in advance.

MAF would probably be the last mod I'd do, if at all on the 4.0. What are your current mods?

Thanks for the replys and suggestions. To answer your questions to a few currently I have a 57 mm throttle body , headers , 3 in tube from maf to the throttle intake with a K& N aor filter . All this on a rebuilt motor with a comp cam . Thought getting a bigger maf would get some more gains from a article I read but maybe it was just he tube ?? But if it's not needed then I don't think I'll worry about it .

I've been told by those who know more than me, that the main source of restriction on the 4.0 OHV is the intake manifold, not the MAF housing or intake tube.

Having said that...if you don't have a custom ECU tune (chip for us) then a MAF mod will not do much. By "MAF mod" I don't mean just putting a 5.0 housing on there. I mean a custom-programmed MAF sensor in addition to the larger housing.

I run a Granitelli MAF and my piggyback chip is programmed for the MAF calibration. I cross my fingers that it all still works (it has been reliable for many years). The Granitelli housing is wider than stock. I installed all of that 15 years ago. I don't know if anyone sells that stuff anymore for our engines. When I had it done Brian @ Apten specifically asked me what MAF I was running, and what calibration it had (the calibration is marked on the topside of the MAF sensor housing).

Maybe James Duff would be able to custom program a chip for you, to work with a MAF. They'd probably try to sell you their own chip, which may or may not be able to be programmed for a different MAF. It would take custom programming by a tuner who still has equipment for OBD1 ECU's to get the most out of the MAF mod.

I thought about buying the jet performance chip but heard they were garbage . I have seen a retailer online sell the Granitelli housing but not for my year you , I think 96 -2006 I believe could be wrong . But lately I have found a seller who still has some hypertech performance chips for obd1 explorers . Figured I would go with that one with the reviews being so high.

If I got the hyper tech performance chip and left the MAF and ALL THE SENSORS stock and left them be would I still need to get her tuned ?

I run a Granitelli MAF and my piggyback chip is programmed for the MAF calibration
I had this on my old Explorer. with the BBK TB. Whether it had real gains I have no idea...I had 31's running 3.27 gears so my power sucked at all speeds.

Unfortunately no makes that combo any longer.

If I got the hyper tech performance chip and left the MAF and ALL THE SENSORS stock and left them be would I still need to get her tuned ?

If you get the Hypertech chip that would be your "tune". So I'm not sure what you're asking. All of the OBD-I tuning I ever saw was thru a piggyback chip and not flashing like they do to modern ecu's. If these Hypertech chips have generic tunes on them you'd probably want to stay with a stock MAF sensor, but with anything you can play around with it and a dyno, and you may surprise yourself with some combo of housing/chip/maf sensor.

I had this on my old Explorer. with the BBK TB. Whether it had real gains I have no idea...I had 31's running 3.27 gears so my power sucked at all speeds.

Unfortunately no makes that combo any longer.

Yeah, i gained maybe 10-15 horse with all of the mods I did....after probably $1000 spent. But, I can't really complain. It has been a reliable 175 horsepower :)

Dont waste your time with a bigger maf..the stock will handle more power than you can make without going forced induction. .same goes with the injectors. .once you reach the point of needing larger of either your need a complete custom tune anyways..

Going to a larger maf even if its used on a motor which uses same injectors as yours,will hurt your motor..maf measures velocity. .going larger hurts you two ways..your be getting more air into the motor but that air will be moving through it slower..so the ecm leans your mix out because it thinks its getting less air because ita moving slower, but in reality its getting more air because the maf is larger..so your double lean..the ecu should see this in the O2s and adjust but if you have other mods that requires more fuel,it may be too lean and outside of the range the ecu can adjust for..

Back