• Register Today It's free!

Late Model Ranger 4x4 Problems?

Jonny813

Reaction score
City, State
Tampa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
Hey guys, just trying to do my research before getting my new truck. Heard a rumor and want to hear everyone elses opinion. I assume that the 4x4 is still the same on both Ranger and Expo in the late models (02+) as previous years so...

You will have to forgive me since I didn't know what the hell this guy was talking about because I didn't trust what he had to say in the first place.

He said late model ranger 4x4's is very touchy and only works basically when it wants because it was designed with hubs that were connected to vaccuum lines or something that and that they broke often and needed to be replaced.

Any info will be great! Sorry for the vagueness as I am new to trucks and especially 4x4!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After 02' was the new Explorer, so I don't believe the front half is the same. Certainly not the rear, since the explorer has IRS. They are very similar to the 95'-01' style Explorer drivetrains.

Also, I don't think an '02 has vacuum hubs. They did away with those in 00' or 01'. Newer models are connected all the time like Explorers were 95'-01'. The vacuum hubs were known to be finiky, but there is a fix for them that basicly makes them locked all the time, or people retrofit Explorer parts to do away with the hubs entirely.

98-00 Rangers all had vacuum. 01-to current do not have vacuum

it is a comen problem....there is a write up on a ranger site on how to fix it....you pritty much have to take some front end parts from a spoder and stick it in a ranger

Theres a how-to on ranger forums that says to turn them into live axle all you have to do is remove a lil metal clip inside the hub. Not hard to do at all. Itz not the hubs that have issues anyway, its the vacuum system. That goes bad and can't keep the hubs engaged. I'm waiting till that actually happens to my truck then I will mod it to be live axles by removing that clip.

Interesting. Never heard of it before. Good thing to know even if I dont have a ranger in that body style.

Thats not the same how-to I am familiar with but it is the same process. I am familiar with the one on www.ranger-forums.com

Good information guys - I'm having this issue with my '99 Ranger 4x4 as we speak.

One dumb question - If I go through this modification to have the axles locked all the time, am I basically in 4x4 mode all the time now? Or are the hubs locked, and then when I engage 4x4 mode, the axle locks to put me in 4wd ?

You won't be on 4wd all the time. The Shift motor would be off when you put it on 2wd.

great post guys. i have 96 ranger 4lt xlt put warn hubs on no troublr no more jn

Back