Latest on FED probe of unsafe Firestone's... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest on FED probe of unsafe Firestone's...

Posted by ABC news to their website yesterday:
Dead Link Removed

While some of the info is the same as has been discussed over the past week or so, they've updated the number of deaths they believe are related to failing Firestone Wilderness AT/ATX tires to 46 (I think) and announced the investigation will broaden.

So ... should I remount my 'Stones so I can get the free Bridgestone Duelers being offered as replacements (by some dealers) and then sell them? I'm running BFG's, but for the minimal expense of mounting/balancing (2x in this case) I could still make out -- especially since I had planned to sell my Firestone's which have ~60% life remaining! D'OH!!!

Glad I shed those 'Stones (they really did suck ... safe or unsafe)!

[Edited by Rob O on 08-08-2000 at 12:06 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well what I wanna know is why Ford replaces tires for FREE in countries like Malaysia and Saudi Arabia where noone hardly has an Explorer. They act like they're too cheap to spend some money and save a few lives. I mean geez, there are probably more Explorer owners in America than there are people in Malaysia!! They should replace the tires in every country they are sold in with quality tires. Who's with me?

I'm with you, but everyone knows that FORD does everything based on money:fire: and that's why they didn't do it in America. If it's gonna cost FORD money they usually don't do it :rolleyes:

Firestone tires

Just got off the phone with Firestone. They have narrowed the problem down to one plant. To tell if your tires are on the recall list look at your tires. On the black wall side of the tire there will be a DOT code. If this code starts with VD then you have the defective batch made from this certain plant. Firestone tells me that they will replace them FREE of charge with any tire that they can get that is even in price and quality. I am having them order me some BFG A/T ko's. They owe me an answer if this will be an even swap or I pay the dif.

Hope this helps

Rob O -

I believe the particular DOT code that starts with VD (Which stands for the plant in Decatur, IL) is on the Wilderness AT tires only.

I got VD

Sounds sick!! :eek:

I checked my tires and sure enough the code starts with VD, so since I pull a heavy trailer almost every weekend, I WANT MY TIRES REPLACED!!!!! :shoot:

What the?

I just got in from looking at my Explorer's ATX's, and the right front DOT code starts with VD, but all the rest starts with H4. Whats the deal? The lady before us had to have changed the tires before we bought it because it had 80 some thousand miles and the tires look new. Think I could get Firestone to replace all of them?

Back