Leak at bottom of Radiator tray. 2007 XLT 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak at bottom of Radiator tray. 2007 XLT 4.0

Reaction score
City, State
Northern New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 EXPLORER XLT
I just replaced my radiator and it pressure tested fine. Hoses are fine and no obvious leaks. Coolant level has not changed. There is no spray of coolant in the fan area or on the hoses.

I do notice, however, that there is a "wet" substance that is almost oily located in the cracks of the black dowel housing at the bottom; the bottom tray that holds the radiator in place. It is not dripping, but the cracks inside of the oval/circle type edge are holding some kind of liquid of sorts.

If this pic posts, it is NOT mine....just and example of the black circular box to the left where the wetness is. Mine does not drip like that but it is always wet in the creases:
10263492sz.jpg

Here us the older link to show the pic: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=349625

My thoughts:
1. A/C condenser leak at an o-ring. Condenser looks fine to the naked eye.
2. Auxiliary transmission cooler leak.
3. Unknown hose leak up front that I can't see

I don't know how many hoses are in the front that include the condenser and aux trans cooler.

It doesn't appear to be Gold coolant. The AC works fine. The transmission was serviced and is filled.

Do any of the parts up front (rad/condenser/trans cooler) have a normal drip of condensation that is just accumulation in the tray and seeping through the dowel?

There was a post years back of a similar issue and it was a condenser problem. I just need to see if anyone could offer up their experience of what the "possibilities" are.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It could be residual tranny fluid from taking the old one out.

It could be residual tranny fluid from taking the old one out.

That's what I'm hoping for. It's not dripping....just moist.

Do A/C condensers sweat? I'm also thinking it could be that as well.

take a white paper towel and wipe the moisture away then observe its color on the paper towel. If its red its trans fluid if its green or orange its Coolant and if it has no color its just plain water.

AC fluid is green. i just recharged my system with AC Pro and seen that it was green. AC Pro works awesome btw.

Back