Leak in pillar, roof liner, crack on roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leak in pillar, roof liner, crack on roof

scottboarder

Reaction score
City, State
Whistler, BC, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer Ltd V8
Hi,

I have discovered a leak on the driver side pillar in the top left corner to the left of the sun visor.
Above I have discovered a crack, or cracked paint on the left water channel where the channel meets the window.
Am I correct in assuming that this is where the leak could be coming from or a red herring?
Should water be allowed in from this water drain? I have read about a drainage tube getting blocked
I took it to a bodyshop but they want $500 to remove windscreen and repair the crack.

Any help appreciated
Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have a leak problem on my 02. it comes through the sunroof and dome lights though. when i go to the car wash its as if someone stuck a hose through the sunroof right onto my lap :D i have no idea what the problem is, i thought it might be the gasket around my sunroof but they want 90 bucks for a new one. i wouldnt think a body crack like that would let water in but i may be wrong, how much water is coming in?

I dont think its the sunroof, drips with rain. It seems to only affect the left pillar

weather stripping around the door look good?

will check again tomorrow but I think so its coming in from above door height

Use some talcum powder (baby powder) and sprinkle onto DOOR seal. Open and close door a few time, open / close like normal not slam. Open and look at the powder on seal, any area not white is probably area that is not contacting door opening on the body. If the vehicle has been "slim jimed" to open a lock door with key still in vehicle, chances that a wedge was use to keep the back edge of door away from body to allow the rod to unlock door. That may have sprung the door. If so, lower the glass into door and pull slightly to bend the door frame towards the inside of the vehicle.

Other cause is blocked drain tube for the sunroof, assuming you have one. Only other thing I can think of is the windshield/windscreen. Was it replaced recently, maybe it wasn't done properly? If so have the glass guy take care of it. I'm not understanding the crack that you mentioned. Looked at my vehicle and saw no weld on pillar/dooe opening. Was vehicle in an accident and they had to do work on pillar?

Thanks xlt03. Ill try the powder
Just above the door there is a dent in a sort of circular shape only small but that may have been where something was wedged into the door.
I do have a sunroof, where would I find the drain tube?
The windscreen has been replaced but not since i've had it (2 weeks)

There is a strip of sealer that runs down that rain gutter that covers the spot welds where the roof and body sides are joined. I wouldn't think that cracking is common, but it's certainly possible.

Tried the powder thing but didn't do a great job at it, how I have powder everywhere. I did see two areas where there was more powder then the rest of the seal, ill pour some water in it with the pillar cover off and see if it comes in at the same area.

ok i pulled the pillar plastic off and pulled down the roof liner, poured some water on the crack, nothing, poured water on door seal all round nothing, sunroof, nothing. ill have to wait until it rains next

Ok I found the leak source, its the drain tube to the n/s sunroof. poured water in sure enough into the cab. So i pulled down the headliner and I can see light, so im guessing the tube has come off. next question how do i get to the tube, I can't figure out how to get the sunshield off.
Thanks

The drain tube runs from the frame of sunroof and down the front pillars and drains into space between fender and door. You should see the end of the tube. I recalled somewhere in this forum someone spoke about the drain tube being disconnected. Do a search within the forum. Windsheild/screen does not have to be remove. At least your vehicle should smell nice from the powder.

I did a search but could not find anything about how to remove liner and sun visor, any ideas?

Type removing headliner and you'll get a few hits.
Essentially, you remove any seals around door opening of body, any overhead console, assist handle attached to pillar, sun visor, pillar cover to expose edge of headliner. Sun visor is usually mounted with screws on the outboard side of the visor. It may be hidden behind some plug/cap. My guess you want to do only the side where you have the leak.

Back