• Register Today It's free!

leak in power steering pump

phillip perez

Reaction score
City, State
Montery, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
My power steering pump is leaking, I put PS fluid in it every 3 days and I even tried some stop leak but nothing works. Is it time for a new power steering pump? How much does one typically coast?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check to see where it is leaking first.. it may just be a line loose you can tighten up...Wipe it off, fill it up, start it, and let someone turn the wheel for you..Becareful to keep all your bodyparts away from the belt..

actually i just noticed something similar. it seems i have a leak coming from the steering box, the arm that bends down from the gear to actually turn the rods in the front was covered in steering fluid when i got home. i cant figure out why this happened, it sat for 3 weeks till i got home, i'm not that worried about it but i cant figure it out. any ideas???

phillip and bigcheck, you've just learned a very valuable lesson about ford power steering pumps. they are either brand new, or they leak. sometimes even the brand new ones leak too! my pump on the mustang leaked from the day i got it back in 95, replaced it in 97, guess what? still leaks, i don't even drive it but once a month, now and it still drips out! can't tighten it up! it is just predetermined to leak.

Bigcheck1,

You said your steering box is leaking.There is a seal that you can replace for that.The part is cheap but it is kind of tricky to replace.The hardest part is geting the pitman arm(arm that bends down from the box) off.The parts stores let you rent the puller.Just make sure it is the big one.To get the seal out pull the pitman arm.Then take the c-clip out.Put the pitman arm nut back on.Crank up the truck and turn the steering wheel all the way to one side as fast as you can .Just make sure you have a big catch pan under there for the fluid.The seal will just pop out.Replace every thing and your done.Center your steering wheel before you put the pitman arm on.

Mine tends to want to squirt out the top where the filler cap is...no big deal..can never get it tight enough..Just put more in I guess. Atleast you know your fluids fresh....

BigCheck, I have the same problem, and posted asking for help a month or two ago. I was told the same thing JYoung is saying, but I haven't fixed it yet. I just add fluid as needed. If you want a little more info, do a search for a thread called 'leaking power steering box'.

Cost to replace

For Your Information--
I just had the seals and lines replaced for $329. The seal kit was only $13.00. OUCH. But, the pump is quiet once again and no leaks. Sure wish the pump would've waited for the weekend to let go, I could have saved myself some money doing the R&R. Oh well, c'est la vie!
Troy

Im just bumping this one back up cuz I think I need to do what JYoung said to do, but Im not quite sure...If enough people have had this problem Im just going to assume thats what it is and do it myself...Its been leaking quite a bit, and I cant really tell where its coming from but the box is soaked and I just cleaned it all off yesterday...I really cant afford to dump $350+ on having someone fix it...What yall think?

Back