Leaking Coolant? No...

tdi0nne

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
Hey Gents,
New to the World. Got a 00 Xlplr Sport ^_^ took her to get checked out, and they tell me i have a major coolant leak & that its prob gonna need a head fixing... only issue is.. i just dont see it, she runs fine, she doesnt even run hot. Maybe a internal leak? but i highly doubt. Dont see any bubbles when i pull Cap... thinking that Firestone is trying to jerk my chain or should there be something else i need to be looking out for? she does seem to be using a little more than normal coolant from res..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Consider getting a used oil analysis the next couple times you change the engine oil, and look for high potassium and sodium levels. Quite possibly, the coolant is going into the oil. It might not be the heads or head gasket, more likely actually through the intake manifold gaskets, which a compression test wouldn't detect.

Based on my many negative experiences with Firestone I would say it's possible they're pulling your chain, but the coolant level shouldn't be dropping at all, as the cooling loop is a closed system.

forgot to mention im completly missing my ac compressor, but that wouldnt have an effect would it?

A/C compressor shouldn't affect that .... but I'm curious what you mean by "completely missing"

If it's actually not present with no dummy bypass pulley and the no-A/C belt is used, the pulleys will be spinning at the wrong speeds, which could trip the battery charge warning light.

i dont believe there is a ac compressor, bought it without the compressor, and im assuming not spinning at right speeds. however no battery charge light is present, but i do need a new battery at this point :p

Why do you think that the alternator will turn at the wrong speed? Regardless of what's in the way, it's the ratio of the alternator pulley to the crankshaft pulley (balancer) diameters that determines how fast it goes.
A/C compressor shouldn't affect that .... but I'm curious what you mean by "completely missing"

If it's actually not present with no dummy bypass pulley and the no-A/C belt is used, the pulleys will be spinning at the wrong speeds, which could trip the battery charge warning light.

I wouldn't trust Firestone, Pep Boys, or any of those chains to diagnose my vehicles. I would check underside of the vehicle and look for signs of a coolant leak.

Pull a upstream o2 sensor from bank 1 and 2 and check for white burnt residue on them bad head/ gaskets will cause that. By chance checked that thermostat housing good. They are prone to leak replaced mine last week

coolant leak

i have the same problem with a 5.0 and mine is leaking from the timing chain cover, which is a pain to be able to see

check your splash guard, the radiators are notorious for cracking at the seams and leaking there. I had the same issue a few years ago, but not drip spots underneath as this is where it was collecting at.

Back