Truck leaking coolant - passenger size dripping behind tire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Truck leaking coolant - passenger size dripping behind tire

Afboy143

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Tampa,FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer Sport
So I can't visually see it as the truck is in another city with my sister, however I want to see what this could be. Basically my sister said the truck has a constant leak on the passenger side and it's puddling behind the tire pretty good. It is definitely not just condensation from the air compressor. I'm thinking that the hoses to the heater core might be leaking or the heater valve might be leaking. If it was the heater core would you feel it inside of the truck under the passenger side dash ? Any other ideas what it might be? She said it is leaking pretty bad even with the truck off. It is losing a lot of coolant and she needs to refill it once every other day. I am going to take a look at it this weekend when she comes into town with it but I just want to get an idea of what it might be. Thanks everybody

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make sure its not the radiator...the antifreeze could travel down random items on the vehicle and make its way behind the tire.

I think you are right. Start with the heater hose connections or the heater valve. That's the only coolant source in that corner. A leak from the front might blow back there while driving, but the location of the puddle would change when parked. Should be easy to find if it is leaking that much. If you have trouble finding it, see if you can borrow/rent a cooling system pressure tester (or just get it nice and hot). A little pressure makes those stubborn leaks really easy to find.

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sorry the original post was so poorly written! I posted it from my phone.
[MENTION=106710]swshawaii[/MENTION] - thanks for the tip! I did a lot of googling and found your posts. I actually ended up buying an OEM type unit with the sensors already installed by "Four Seasons" off Rock Auto for $56 shipped. The truck has 175k so I don't want to dump a lot or go crazy on this truck. This truck was my old truck and see my sig for mods. I'm done modding this thing lol
[MENTION=199168]1992fordgreen[/MENTION] - I've checked it but didn't see anything. The radiator only has about 40k miles on it.
[MENTION=231172]rb142[/MENTION]- Thanks for the reply. And thanks for the tip on the tool! I'll make sure I post results to hopefully help others who have fallen into the same place I am right now.

It's leaking pretty bad so I feel confident I'll find it; however, I just wanted some ideas.

Even with a radiator at 40k, it's not out of the question. It'd probably be a good diea to check it out.

Just to update everyone I tore into it and sure enough it was the thermostat housing. I bought a new one off rockauto. Com that came with new sensors as well. Much cheaper then local brick and mortar stores.

Back