Leaking moonroof Please help! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking moonroof Please help!

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer XLT
my 1992 explorer moonroof had little drips a few weeks after I bought it. It was not bad so I left it. Recently the moonroof has been leaking real bad. Does anyone know of a fix for leaking moonroofs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where exactly is it leaking from? Are you sure its latched in correctly?

Im pretty sure its latched right. The glass itself seems secure. I think it has to do with the weatherstripping just being old. Have any suggestions?

the best thing to do would be rip out all the old stuff and re-weatherstrip it

Do you happen to know what I need to buy to complete the job of putting new weatherstrip on the moonroof?

Can anybody help with the proceedure on how to replace the weatherstrip

mine used to leak not a lot but one day i was driving in a hard rain and i was at a stop light and thought WTF?!!?!!? i am not wet, so i took a pen and marked it on the knob. the next time it rain it driped again and i looked up and saw that i over tightened it. so i loosed it back 1/8 a turn not nearly as bad as it was.

good luck :p

Thanks, I don't think thats the problem because its not leaking in one spot its leaking all over the front, only the front, not the back. Oh well I guess I have to get new weatherstrip~~~~ :fire:

Mine leaked a little bit when my car was just sitting still in a long rain and I could never figure it out. Just thought that i would end up replacing the seal too. Well, one day i was cleaning the interior with Son Of A Gun and i decided to go around all of my weather stripping and wipe it down too and since then i never had the leak come back. It also leaked around the passenger side weatherstripping too and that stoped once i went around the seals with the son of a gun. It think it just helps soften the weatherstripping up which may expand it alittle bit. It may work for you too.

Back