• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Power Steering Rack

Jondon007

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer
I was told I had a power steering leak (2008 Ford Explorer). The invoice says P/S Rack leaking. Anyone know how this is fixed and about how much is the cost of repair. The mechanic said something about the rack and pinion steering, about re-alignment, and quoted around $1000. Does this sound correct to anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P/S rack leaking is the power steering rack and pinion. If it is leaking, then generally it has to be replaced. It is a lot of labor to do. Yes, it will require an alignment afterwards. Pricing always varies with region, but for NY, $1000 sounds pretty reasonable. I haven't looked up the price for that rack (look it up online), but some of them are pretty expensive -- plus labor. If you have any wear in the inner or outer tie rods, now is the time to change those too.

Lucas power steering stop leak.. try it. Saved me some big money and actually worked..

Welcome to this forum! Which part of NY do you live in? Lucas has worked well for me, but I want to give you some advice. Too much of a good thing isn't always good. I had a leak on a line fitting in my 1995 van when I got it, and a little Lucas worked very well for years. In more recent times I had a minor leak on the power steering front pump seal. I added a little too much Lucas, and it caused the seal to expand to the point where it blew out. As a result, I ended up swapping the pump with a spare pump that was in my basement. The same thing happened when I tried it in another place on my van. So to sum things up, Lucas works very well for most but not all seal leaks when you don't over use it.

I just had my rack changed on my '98 about a month ago at my local shop. It was slinging oil all over the undercarriage. I thought about doing it myself but from what I have read here its a real pisser to remove/replace. The rack itself was only $250 but with labor, fluids, and alignment, my total was $839. Make sure you drive a few stop-to-stop figure 8's in a parking to 'burp' any air out of the system.

Back