• Register Today It's free!

leasing?

dloc420

Reaction score
City, State
reno nv
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 xlt 4x4
we went to go test drive a jetta 1.8t and they sold out of them. Then they showed us a passat 1.8t but it is a lease program so far what i am hoping for is 290 a month for 39 months and i am allowed 12-15k miles a year i was wondering if anyone has any opinions or any experience with leasing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

And here's the post :D

Basically with a lease you're paying for the portion of the car you will use, so its the depreciated value of the vehicle consumed within a specified period of time, added onto the interest for the finance company spread out and financed for an equal amount of time.

So basically lets say theoretically you lease a $35,000 car for 3 years, and the residual value is $20,000 (generous but easy to work with). So basically you'll be paying, on installment the $15,000 worth of the vehicle you consumed over a period of 36 months coupled with the interest acrued during that period. If all is done at the end of the lease, theres no overage on mileage and no excess wear and tear you just walk away from the car, or you can buy it for a price negotiated from the residual value.

Couple terms (in the states) that you MUST know when you lease:

1. Capitalized Cost. The "cap cost" is a fancy way to say "agreed upon price less any downpayment or trade". So lets say you are buying that $35,000 car but you get a good deal and get it for $32,000. Well, thats icing for you. The MSRP price is still used to compute the residual (which is standardized), and your agreed upon discount simply lowers the amount you owe over the term. Discounts are MORE important to the final payment on a lease than they are on a finance so negotiate the car hard. For every $1000 you get off, thats $25 or so a month.

2. Cap Cost Reduction. This is a fancy way of saying "downpayment", this can come from trade in or just cash. Generally since you're renting you dont want to put a lot down, you also have the issue that if you total the vehicle you risk losing any downpayment since YOU dont get paid by the insurance company unlike a purchase. With a purchase you want to put everything down you can, not so with a lease, put as little down as you can afford. I usually put $0 down.

So the "Capitalized Cost" is the "agreed upon price" less the "capitalized cost reduction" and will be the amount you owe before interest.

3. Money factor. This is a fancy way of saying "interest rate". This is going to be some very unfriendly number, like .0024. To figure out what you're really paying in interest, multiply this number by 2400 (its always 2400) and you'll get a standard percentage rate. As you can see .0024 is 5.76% a good rate on a lease

4. Gap insurance. This is a must, and most leases have it built in. This protects you in the event that the insurance company refuses to pay the leasing company the payoff in the event the car is declared a total loss. The gap insurance pays the "gap".

5. Security deposit. This can be $600 or so, or it can be waived depending on your credit. You will get this back after the lease, just as if you were leasing an apartment.

Dealers love leasing, because its about 200 times easier to screw the customer than with a finance. Basically today a finance is something everyone is familiar with today, but leasing is made intentionally complex (you can see how they give everything a complex name) to dupe the customer. Remember how I said every $1000 is worth $25 a month? That works the same way. Every time they can hide $25 a month worth of profit into the lease they make an extra $1000. Now, leasing is great, when you know what you're doing. Here in the US we have federal lease disclosure laws that make it hard for dealers to hid profit, don't know how that works in Australia.

For years I leased my own car because I could write off most of the payment as a business expense. Nowadays my company leases my car for me (the Lexus) and pays all gas, maintenance, repairs, insurance etc. Is this what you're looking to do for an employee of yours? If you were in the states it could be a good tax shelter for you, you could write off the entire lease and force your employee to declare it as his own income and pay tax on it.

I love leasing, its perfect for me. Every 3 years I get a new car, I never have a car out of warranty, I save a few hundred $$ a month (the more expensive the car and the better the resale the more money you'll save by leasing, for instance it makes no sense to lease something like a Jeep or an Explorer because it doesnt save you any money (actually can cost you more) because the resale is so low. On a BMW or a Lexus though, it can save you $2-300 a month. Also keep mileage in consideration. Used to be 15k a year was standard, now its 12 or 10 and you have to chip in for the difference. I usually lease for almost 30k a year and I STILL save money. You can buy miles up front or at the end, no difference. Most leasing cos will refund you for any un-used miles. Good thing about buying upfront is you can roll them into the lease. In some states in the US you even have sales tax savings because they allow you to pay a "monthly use tax" or sales tax on every payment as opposed to the entire purchase price. Unfortunately MD is unfair and we have to pay sales tax on the purchase price of the car, even portions we'll never use.

Hope this has helped, and feel free to post more questions. Like I said I've been doing this for over 20 years (it has gotten much safer and easier over those 20 years trust me)

A site for you to look at is www.leasecompare.com

so do you think a passat will keep its re sale value or should i look for something else?

I will never lease agin.. your loosing $$ after my 01X i will NEVER lease another car truck.. buy all the way!

How much do you drive a year, and do you keep your cars immaculate? If you don't go way under on mileage, I'd never least a car. I don't like the idea of not owning a car and having one more reason to have to keep it 100%nice. After seeing my brother lease a Heep I'd never do it. With the mileage his stupid wife put on it, interest, condition, and the ballon payment of 7,000 to buy it when it was all said and done, he was paying over 35k for a crappy Cheroke. Yes, I know he got totally screwed, but only know 1 person who leased more than one car.

Well you can't lease an Explorer the resale is too bad, I mentioned that in my writeup. If you run the payments the lease payment will be equal if not more than the finance payment. Leasing is better suited to foreign higher line and luxury cars that have less depreciation.

I've leased, let me see, 8 cars and its the only way to go for me. Only time I'd consider buying is if I were retired.

I also drive 30,000 miles a year and I still save money, even before any tax breaks.

I know many people who lease and love it.

Basically with leasing you've got to know what you're doing or you'll get screwed like MB's brother. In my experience its the people that don't truly understand leasing that find it a bad route to go. For one, like the Explorer you can't lease a Jeep because the resale is too low. Basically true of any American car save something like a Cadillac, the resale is so low leasing holds no value. Leasing is best for cars like VWs, BMWs, Lexuses, Mercedes, etc. Even Rolls and Bentleys lease out pretty well, $2000 a month or so vs $5500-$6000 a month to finance.

Leasing is all about reducing your liability. A car is not an investment, it is a depreciating asset. Any financial planner will tell you to buy things that will increase in value (real estate, investments) and lease things that will decrease in value (cars, boats, etc).

"Ownership" is an illusion unless you buy a car outright and pay cash...

A wise old friend and a rather wealthy man once told me "if it flys, floats or F****, lease it".

Originally posted by Stephen
For one, like the Explorer you can't lease a Jeep because the resale is too low.
I am currently leasing my Jeep Rubicon - Tomb Raider-edition at 1.87% interest from Bank of the West here in California. My residual will be $10,000 after 5.5 years, when I purchase the vehicle outright from the Bank of the West.

-Ken

But your Jeep is a limited special edition, of course its going to have a higher resale. An average Grand Cherokee or Explorer just doesn't lease well because they're everywhere and they're VERY hard to move in the pre-owned market.

I'm also not at all sold on leasing and then buying, there you usually wind up paying far more than just buying in the first place. If you're gonna lease, lease and then get out.

Look at it this way, a 2004 Lexus LS430 just like mine leases out for $1144 for 36 months, but finances out for $1234 for 60 months, both assuming taxes and tags only paid out of pocket, and that you could get 3k off the sticker. Thats also assuming a 3.6% interest rate which is a rarity, a Lexus dealership isn't going to touch that with a more accurate 5% the finance rate goes up to $1264. Lease savings there.

On lets say an average XLT Ford Explorer well equipped, if bought at invoice (not uncommon) leases out for 36 months at $616 yet finances out at $601 for 60 months. So, no reason to lease an Explorer really.

In other words if someone is going to lease a Explorer, it may be best to get a Limited, being that it would retain its value the most?

Originally posted by Stephen
But your Jeep is a limited special edition, of course its going to have a higher resale. An average Grand Cherokee or Explorer just doesn't lease well because they're everywhere and they're VERY hard to move in the pre-owned market.

I'm also not at all sold on leasing and then buying, there you usually wind up paying far more than just buying in the first place. If you're gonna lease, lease and then get out.
Stephen: My dad bought his Grand Cherokee after leasing it initally in '95. He still drives it with minimal problems. I took my wife with me to sort through the paperwork, and armed with her calculator, we determined that by leasing and then purchasing, my cost will be $38,000.00 when all is said and done. If I were to finance at 5.5% it would be the same exact price - just lower payments the first 5 1/2 years.

I'm keeping the Rubicon as my weekend toy once it is payed off, so no worries about depreciation on my end. Also, a guy took a Rubicon, put 50,000 miles on it in one year, and then returned it to the lot to buy another one. The used Rubicon with 50,000 miles sold for $500 than the ones that were on the lot. Now, that my friend is resale value!;)

-Ken

I leased then bought my explorer. I paid less monthly up front, but more now. The final cost is just about what it would have cost to buy it up front. Only i was making a lot less money when i first leased it, so it was better for me then. I put tons of miles on my car, so i knew i had to buy it out. After I pay off this car, I dont think i will lease again. I didnt have bad experiences, but it was a hastle to have to go back to the dealership to do all the paperwork...mostly because i moved.

Back