LED Dash board light replacement, need part numbers | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Dash board light replacement, need part numbers

2001ST

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hi everyone,
I'm a bit confused on the correct bulbs to order to replace my blown bulbs on my dash of my 2001 SportTrac. I emailed superbirghtleds.com and they said this:

Each vehicle is slightly different on gauge cluster tolerances and you will see our wled 194/168 replacements come in many sizes. I would suggest our wled-x5 or wled-xhp5, as these seem to be the most popular for 194 gauge cluster bulbs. Additionally i would suggest checking on forums for your truck because there are usually many LED conversion threads on best ones to go with."

I think the bulb number is 194, but it seems there are many choices for that number. I don't want to draw too much power and wreck everything. I'm only replacing the 6 dash bulbs and not going full bore with all bulbs (unless someone can convince me otherwise).

Thanks much for your help!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the led's will draw less power than a regular bulb (to a point) no matter which style you pick in the 194, don't worry about power draw, just make sure they have leds on the side not just the top

I checked the website, (spelling mistake in your address)
either go with xHP5, or x5, as previously suggested, all the other ones won't work as good

Replacing dash lamp bulbs with LED's seems a waste of time/effort/money to me. Bah humbug!:D

your dimmer circuit could have problems if you dont wire in the right resistors..

there will be no issues with the LEDs, (dimmerswitch)
try the bulbs plugged in, some of them only work one way, if they don't light up, plug them in 180 degrees from original position

I have the xHP5 style in my truck (e-Bay version), no dimmer issues, no resistors required.....

as far as all the "other bulbs" in the cluster, the indicators in there are already LEDs, only the backlighting uses the regular 194 bulbs

I think I found exactly the bulbs I needed on eBay as well. Upgrading the LED is a great idea in my mind instead of using regular bulbs. After doing research on these forum, I was able to find the optimal light for even glow across the dash.

The link will probably fail, but the bulbs are certainly for sale all of the time. Search eBay for:

194 SMD 5-LED white

the seller for mine was "premierteknet112222" and I got a 10 pack. Nice to have a couple spares.

Good luck to all and thank you for all of the advice you gave.

Be sure to post up some pics of the swap!

Back