• Register Today It's free!

Left front wheel bearing..

jeff4912

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, Wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer 4WD
I need to replace the left front wheel bearing.

Should I use Motorcraft OEM part or are some aftermarket bearing assemblies okay to use?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Motorcraft wheel bearings are good. I've had good success with skf bearings as well. Go with what you know, and are comfortable with.

When I replaced my two fronts, I took a chance on some lower-end eBay wheel hub assembled (bearings already included).

They've served me well for a year and I've yet to complain. I would recommend anyone else to invest in some Timkin hubs though (I was on a budget).

Of course if you're looking exclusively for the bearing itself, I would say someone else can better answer. I'm of the opinion that the hub assembly is so easy to do in one shot that it's worth going with a whole thing.

-Dubya

I went with the Timken.

Timken, Koyo, or SKF. Ford (Motorcraft) doesn't make their own bearings. Most are Koyo bearings repackaged into the Motorcraft box. Ford uses the best, least expensive bearing manufacturer when they order bearings 200,000 at a time.

Thanks you guys.

Went with the SKF brand and got them installed for $382 total.

The buzzing from the wheel bearing that I thought was the tire is now gone.

Those 4 brands are the ones I would trust (Timken, koyo, skf, and OEM). Just my $0.02

Thanks you guys.

Went with the SKF brand and got them installed for $382 total.

The buzzing from the wheel bearing that I thought was the tire is now gone.

Did you have someone else install two Timken bearings for that price? Or is that the price for the two and you installed them yourself?

Did you have someone else install two Timken bearings for that price? Or is that the price for the two and you installed them yourself?

Had the one SKF bearing assembly installed at Les Schwab, a tire chain in Washington state. The part was $280(I know online it's $155ish). But they installed it for $63 labor. Then there was sales tax.

Back