Lessons learned while changing shift rail plugs | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lessons learned while changing shift rail plugs

Brian1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque, NM
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
Callsign
KG5BAQ
As many of you may know, the manual transmissions have rubber plugs in the shift rails that need to be replaced when you get transmission oil spots in the driveway. I took on the task of changing the plugs on my 91 Explorer and I ran into a few other things while changing the three plugs. First, I searched this site and found nothing. This is why I am posting this. Second, I printed out the instructions. Following the directions, I removed everything. I found it easier to remove the shifter to pull the carpet back. Only 3 extra screws. Am I glad that I did! Anyway, I took out the old plugs and put the new metal plugs in. After doing this, I replaced the shifter bushings. The rubber bushing where the ball (not the knob) of the shifter moves around was in a million pieces. I had to replace that being careful not to drop any pieces into the tranny. I also found that the rubber seal of the plate that the shifter screws to the transmission with was cracked. This is a Ford only part. I replaced that then put everything back together. While I had the carpet pulled back and the console removed, I ran 2- 14ga. wires to the center console for future 12-volt use.

Where did you get our plugs from? Also, this is for the M50D (I think that's the name, still learning) trans, right?

Dorman 555-108 plugs are the right size for the M5OD-R1.

Thanks for the response! I realize this topic is ancient. Haha

Back