Vaccum leak hissing noise while changing gears | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Vaccum leak hissing noise while changing gears

twanhines

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer V6
Hello guys, I recently bought a 2004 explorer 4.0 with the 5r555 transmission. My old '99 threw a rod on a sad note. :( Anyhow since I've had this truck I've noticed that 1st through 3rd gear seems to sometimes shift okay, and other times slightly jerk into gear. But yesterday I had the radio and A/C off and noticed that as I'm pressing the gas and about to change gears, I hear a hissing noise as if its coming from behind the glove box. Once I change gears, the hissing goes away completely. Also, when in park or neutral, I rev the engine and I get no hissing noise. I dropped the glove box this morning, and seen at least 6 different vacuum lines, so I'm not sure what goes to what, or if I could even get to the noise from there, but I figured I'd try to help myself as much as possible before I ask for help. Anyhow, I took it to the ford dealership and all they told me is that either I drive it until it breaks, or let them rebuild or replace it since for them to diag it would mean them tearing into. Other than that and the few small things, I really love this truck and have much respect for it, but would love to find that hissing noise, and hopefully when fixed, it'll fix the tranny. The fluid level is fine, and no leaks when I crawled under it. Thanks!

Back