Level of difficulty: replacing positive battery cable??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Level of difficulty: replacing positive battery cable???

Cheddar_Dan

Reaction score
City, State
Rocky Top, Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Exploder XLT
Hi,
My positive battery cable looks *iffy* where it attaches to battery post; corrosion at the aux wire and a few broken strands of wire. --Now I'm trying to decide if I should change to a modern replacement terminal *or* replace the entire + battery cable. --I imagine replacing the cable is a bit of a job, but is it?? On a scale of 1 to 5 (5 most Pain) what is the cable job, please??
BIG THANKS!
Merry Christmas!!!

1994 Exp XLT 4x4

I'd replace the whole cable. Motorcraft part #WC9050, about $50 on Amazon. I know you can get a universal terminal for about $5 but those things corrode quickly too.

Using your scale it would be a 1 to me. It's easy. The cable is connected to the starter solenoid, battery, and starter. Three nuts, two bolts, unclip a wire, pull it out, replace. Easy. You can do it.

Yeah, problem is, you probably have corrosion working it's way under the existing wire insulation, and replacing the end really just leaves that corrosion to do it's ugly thing. Do the entire cable and you won't have to think about it again for a very long time. Difficulty... the cable snakes under the engine to the starter, so you will have some time under the truck, it will be greasy, dirty, etc... but you just route it where the old cable goes. You could get it from Rock Auto too it's about the same price after you do shipping fees.

Back