How to replace positive battery cable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to replace positive battery cable

TheOSU32

Reaction score
City, State
Vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ford Explorer 5.0
I've not been able to locate any posts of how to replace battery cables. Wondering if someone can link me to a post or help describe the process here.

Need to replace positive cable specifically. Cable shows serious signs of corrosion. Tried to cut further down on the cable to just but cable appears in bad shape throughout.

Car has been unreliable on starts, new terminals, battery and alternator have been verified good. Don't believe it's a starter issue, lots of noise on startup but unreliable turn. Even if is starter positive cable would still need replace.

Thanks!

Yeah, these cables are known to corrode under the plastic. Might be a good idea to replace the negative cable, too. If one is corroded, chances are the other is, also.
Sorry I don't have a how to link. To swap it out, it's just a matter of following the cable down and unbolting wherever it's attached. It should end on the starter, and have an anchor bolt or two along the way. At least it's that simple on a 4.0...maybe more to it on a 5.0, I dunno.

Back