• Register Today It's free!

licsence plate holder

therise21

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT SOHC
some old lady backed into my parked ex and virtually destroyed my licsence plate holder. it is on there with only one screw now. can i get one at any auto parts store or is it a special one i will have to order? and do you know if dmv charges for new plates? it is lookin ugly, but no damage done to my car or hers so i consider myself lucky.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any dealer should have them. They are like $20-$25.

You can have mine for fairly cheap if I figure out how to get it off.....I dunno if it will fit yours though. Michigan doesn't need front plates.

i looked at some pictures of 2003 and its a different type of holder. thanks anyway.

you could just moun it like i did my dads. look much cleaner IMO.
104513.jpg

thats the best pic i can find of it. but i just drilled some holes into the plate and mounted it with some bolts to the holes for the plate holder.

You could also get a "universal" holder at AutoZone or even Walmart for a little bit less than a dealer. I bought one and it has held up very well.

I got a universal holder ($4) at AZone after getting stopped for not having mine (after 2 years). Worked fine for me...

96limitedX what is that like a '58 pontiac in the background??

ill stop at autozone on the way home tomorrow. did you have to drill holes for the universal one to make it fit?

96limitedX said:
56' chevy bel-air. numbers matching car ;)

Looks Very Nice from What I can See!!! Wanna Let Me Borrow it And Drive Her around for Ya!! I am in Fla, We have Lots of Sun and No Snow Here :D :D :D

therise21 said:
ill stop at autozone on the way home tomorrow. did you have to drill holes for the universal one to make it fit?

The one i got, just a black full-size bracket with tons of holes & openings, was called "universal." I managed to get the bracket to line up enough with pre-existing holes to make it work. It doesn't face straight out - slightly towards the ground - but that should help deflect the laser away from the Troopers gun ;)

I bought the little chrome/plastic caps for the screws.

25243XGrille2005_0408AC.jpg

BuffaloXplorer said:
The one i got, just a black full-size bracket with tons of holes & openings, was called "universal." I managed to get the bracket to line up enough with pre-existing holes to make it work. It doesn't face straight out - slightly towards the ground - but that should help deflect the laser away from the Troopers gun ;)

I bought the little chrome/plastic caps for the screws.

25243XGrille2005_0408AC.jpg

i like that bumper cover! :eek:

96limitedX said:
i like that bumper cover! :eek:

It came on the X as part of the conversion. It's available for purchase through V-sales.

I had to look into the pricing for it a while back for an insurance claim - someone clipped my front fender/corner while turning left from the right lane (while still beside me) - and it's quite expensive for the normal Joe - like $800+/-....but they did say that someone from a collision shop could get it for much less.

I think the whole package - front & rear bumper covers, stepsides & doorskirts - was just over $2300.

Of course when the insurance money came in, i never replaced it - that $$$$ got me into moddin'!

I'd love to temporarily donate it to someone who'd be interested in making some for others.

Back