• Register Today It's free!

Licsense Plate light to LED

Decided to go LED for the lic plate
before
DSC_3015.jpg

after
DSC_3026.jpg

DSC_3028.jpg

I like the white color vs. the yellow filament bulbs.

I used two of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0285615873&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&viewitem=

Need to remove the entire panel from the rear door.
DSC_3019.jpg

DSC_3017.jpg

I cut the incand. domes from the wires, and installed some plugs to allow for changing the LEDs, in case I need to in the future.
DSC_3020.jpg

DSC_3018.jpg

DSC_3022.jpg

DSC_3021.jpg

DSC_3023.jpg

When you remove the incand. housing, you will need to cover the remaining hole. I just cut a piece of plastic in the approximate shape, drilled a small hole in the middle (to run the wires through), and cut a small line from the edge of the plastic up to the hole, so I can run mount the wires after installing the big red connectors.

I used 3M double sided foam tape to mount the lights to the truck.

Enjoy!

they make leds the fit in the stock location... i have blue ones over my licence plate... they were $8.00 at a&a auto parts

Do you have a pic of the replacement? I have seen some LED "bulb" replacements but feared they would not be as bright as the incand. bulb. The other reason for this conversion was to have additional light shining on the tow hitch area for trailer hook up at night.

here is a pic of the ones i got they were 8 bucks at a&a...

heres the bulb
194f_b_wm.jpg

and heres what they look like when turned on
DSCF1210.jpg

Sorry it took so long to get back to you i have been very busy w/ school... they are not as bright as your but it beats cutting up my wiring..

Plug and play is a faster way to go. And you can always revert back to stock. The other reason I went for as much light as I did was to also provide light at night when connecting a trailer. I also did not want some over zealous rural deputy or sheriff deciding my lights were to dim and give me a ticket.

Something I am going to try is grinding the LED plastic bullet to reflect the LED light at an angle, much like a diamond is cut to reflect light. depending on the application, I suspect some very positive results.

Have a great day!

Back